Army visits Apple

Apple logo camo

My two worlds come together in this article from Ars: Army officials get VIP tour of Apple, talk mobile tech. Here is the key quote:

Our job, as stewards of the taxpayer’s dollar, is to adopt and adapt appropriate commercial technology and offer the best possible solution to the warfighter.

This entry was posted in General and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Army visits Apple

1. von Kaufman-Turkestansky says:

The last thing you want to happen when you are waging war is an unspecified system error. I’d pick Apple and its OS over Windows on the battlefield any day. But for value I would consider Ubuntu.

2. Military acronym in 2014: TIAPFT

…. There Is An App For That.

ULTIMATE WIN!!!!1!1!

4. Thomas says:

If taxpayer dollars figure into it then they should run screaming from Apple. Unless, of course there’s some value in under-powered, non-modular, all proprietary machines at triple the price of anything else on the market.

Linux is the way to go as far as the OS is concerned and there’s much better hardware available for much less than the cost of Apple’s.

5. bot-travian says:

I’d pick Apple and its OS over Windows on the battlefield any day

6. M Brueschke says:

There are already some good apps in use by the warfighters, like the really slick ballistics apps, translation programs and simple things like a translator putting “Have you seen this man” in a local language on a photo of the wanted man, then uploading them to iPod Touches and sending them out with patrols.

My Fiancee has a Pashtun speaking Afghani exchange student and he uses an iPod Touch with language translators all the time to help bridge the language gap.

Now Thomas, its just not true that Apple computer cost three times as much as generic computer X. For rugged, nothing will beat a Toughbook, but for applications where you need a good portable Apple, Toshiba, Lenovo, Asus are the only brands to look at and a MacBook Pro or an iMac just aren’t overpriced.

My work machine is a 2.8GHz dual chip Quad-Core Intel Xeon, in that market you’ll see Apples being similarly priced or cheaper than a Dell or HP.

Getting Ubuntu installed is just a pain unless the hardware is very specific.

Rather than adding flames to the platform religious wars, the reason why I posted this was to highlight CERDEC, and the move to adopting off-the-shelf tech which develops at a much faster pace than military tech these days. It is good to see this being institutionalized.

8. von Kaufmann-Turkestansky says:

Really YH? I thought you posted this to fish for “killer apps” jokes.

And I have to say that Ubuntu 9.10 “Karmic Koala” is pretty flexible. Works fine on my old VIAO which has taken on a new life as my WiFi travelling companion. It can even read the built-in Memory Stick reader no problem, something that Ubuntu/Kubuntu/ Xubuntu forums were saying would be a problem in earlier versions.

9. Markus Wolf says:

I’m sure I read years ago in the UK Sunday Times about US warships running windows and a system error left them dead in the water. Maybe I’m so wrong, but it sticks in my mind.
    Karmic Koala would be my choice too, but like M Brueschke said above the setup is a pain if it can’t identify the hardware properly and isn’t the French military responsible for the Open Source Mozilla email client (whose name escapes me at the moment)