Interactive Ship Traffic Map

Amazing map of ship and port traffic using AIS and accurate up to one hour. Brought you by the U of A Department of Product and Systems Design Engineering. This project is so amazingly useful, I don’t know what to say. Zoom in and check out some of the individual ships. See full size here.

This entry was posted in General and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Interactive Ship Traffic Map

1. Peter says:

This is very cool.

2. M Brueschke says:

That is very cool, but I wondered something as I panned the map around. Why are there no cities in Israel on this map? There are roads and major communities in all the other territories, but not Israel. I noticed because I panned over to check out Haifa, where I sailed out of back in ’94.

3. Pingback: Tweets that mention ComingAnarchy.com » Interactive Ship Traffic Map -- Topsy.com

I have 2gb of ram on my computer and it takes forever to load — although I’m in the market for a new computer and will probably get 16gb-32gb on my next machine, it feels at present as if the data is too much for the technology available…

5. Pingback: 20091106 - Adam Crowe

6. Wonder if it tracks Iranian ships delivering missiles to Hezbollah?

7. notpalestinian says:

No cities in Israel?

They’ve been pushed into the sea by Google.

I don’t think there is a conspiracy theory over Israel. I think it is just a matter of the data being incomplete. The port where I used to work, Nagoya, is also not listed and it is the 5th busiest port in Japan.

9. steve miller says:

I heard the reason why there are no cities in Israel is that the Israel service that would hand the mapping information to Google maps doesn’t do it in a format that Google maps can use. But I could be wrong.

It’s not a conspiracy. There are other countries that also are blank.

10. M Brueschke says:

Yea, I just figured it was a bad map. I looked over the western US, but not Japan. It also has some odd blocks it tracks in Alaska, no Anchorage or south central, but a block to the west where its all fishing boats.

11. Stanley Davis says:

There’s an international initiative to provide shipping information into a centralized computer, in part to fight piracy, but also for general safety information. The initiative requires the voluntary participation of each country to provide the data. Some countries chose not to participate. It wouldn’t surprise me if Israel felt such information was too sensitive.