End Hanification! Remembering Urumqi circa 2003

China Protest
A Han Chinese man carries a spiked steel bar while using his cell phone to take photos as he joins a mob of Han Chinese men attacking Uighur properties in Urumqi. (AP Photo/Ng Han Guan)

Starting on the evening of July 5th, riots erupted in Urumqi when Uyghur rioters looted Han Chinese businesses and killed and injured hundreds of Han Chinese. This was followed by a tough police crackdown, which has been followed in turn by Han Chinese revenge violence against Uyghurs.

That this type of event has occurred doesn’t surprise me. I’m sorry to say that the only surprise is that this took so long.

When I got off the train in Urumqi in the spring of 2003, the first thing I realized was that I wasnt in “China Proper” anymore. The streets of the city were diverse — not only are there Uyghurs and Han Chinese, but other Turkic and Mongol people, and even Pakistanis and Russians, were out on the street. But once you went into post offices, hotels, and saw the police on the street, all the faces were Han Chinese. To me, a casual but aware observer, the resulting economic divide and ethnic tensions that resulted from this active policy of “Hanification” was obvious. For years, China’s government has been shipping out Han Chinese to the frontier territories, give them jobs, and indirectly task them with making the place more “Chinese” and thus reducing the risk that such places will want to go independent in the future. But this comes at a heavy price with regard to ethnic relations and the economic divide between locals and the imported Han Chinese, and ultimately aggravates the very problems of separatism that the government wants to snuff out.

The spark of the current riots apparently began in a toy factory in Shaoguan, near Hong Kong but thousands of miles from Urumqi, when rumors began to spread online that a Uyghur migrant worker had raped a Han Chinese women. Han workers attacked their Uighur co-workers, killing two and injuring dozens more. Pictures and videos of this were distributed widely online — witness this youtube video, posted June 26th, and titled “Chinese Commies Massacre Uyghur Innocent Workers 3,” with the comment “26.jun.2009.China’s GuangDong Province , ShaoGuan city. Whole City attacking Innocent Uyghur workers and killed many of them and wounded hundreds.”

This apparently led to the organization of revenge riots in Urumqi, which began 11 days after this video was posted.

Yet the ethnic mistrust begins with Hanification in the first place. The Uighurs employed at the toy plant in Shaoguan are working there as part of a labor-export scheme promoted by the government to try and help forge bonds between Uighur migrants and Han Chinese workers in eastern China. This is nonsense — China has poured money for development into western China to create jobs and economic growth, but the jobs go to Han Chinese, not locals. China should stop forcing the melting pot, and keep development money flowing in for Urumqi locals. That would also reduce the need to send them to Hong Kong to work in factory jobs.

China’s government is the biggest loser with the recent explosion of violence. The western press is once again scrutinizing China’s actions. The Uyghurs in Urumqi are outraged that they don’t have immediate news on their injured and dead relatives. The Han workers in the factory in Shaoguan believe that the government is still covering up the rape allegations to protect minorities. And public opinion in China feels betrayed because “their” taxes are financing the development in Urumqi where the riots are happening. For my part, let me point out that the Chinese coverage overwhelmingly, although perhaps not explicitly, points the blame at Uyghurs, and makes the Han out as victims. Hopefully China can start to reverse its force migration of Han people into Uyghur territory and Uyghurs into Han territory and try to reverse engineer itself out of this mess.

This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink.

130 Responses to End Hanification! Remembering Urumqi circa 2003

1. Aceface says:

“The whole Japan has seen that. At least they’ll build it a prettier city than the concrete mess the LDP has done here”

LDP has mandate by popular election.Big difference.
    And just visiting Shanghai,the buildings I thought pretty were built by foreigners or Chinese in the past.Modern Chinese don’t exactly have great tastes in architecture.

“ever thought Japanese can be a bit… biased when talking about China? ”

Yeah,There’s a bit panda hugging element in them,don’t they?Japan can be more sympathetic to Dalai Lama and Uyghurs.

“having garrisons for 25+ years doesn´t mean the same than having them for thousands. Tough look, you don´t win. ”

Turkestan’s garrisons two thousand years old is highly doubtful,especially it’s not continuous.Most of the Han settlers went there in this half century.And
    “China “had garrisons in Korea,Mongolia and Vietnam too.Allowing your logic would autimaically extends Chinese boundary beyond it’s current borders.

Anyway,this argument of length of time of “boots on the ground” only shows it takes Chinese 40times more to understand why imperialism is bad compare to other colonial powers.

“China didn´t criticize Japanese settlers because they “violated human rights” or “international law”, ”

Actually they did.Pick up any history book of the time.

2. spandrell says:

M-bone: all powers think shunning China is in their best interests. They´re just making money, but the Tibet problem wouldn´t exist if the Dalai didn´t get western money. It´s politics as usual.

Anyway, we talked too much, thanks for making a brief point.
    I guess you mean that Uyghurs have a righteous anger at being shunned of good jobs and being left out of the economy. I certainly don´t know the situation on the ground, but the government IS trying to win them out. The whole thing happened because the government sent Uyghurs to work in Guangdong! Just like every other chinese, to make them a normal part of the workforce. Then the raping stuff happens, the Hans get pissed as the government covering it, and the Uyghurs in Urumqi have no better idea than to riot!
    How are you supposed to react to that? Send them home just like that?

You may think that it can be done, I don´t think so. Let´s leave it at that.

3. M-Bone says:

“having garrisons for 25+ years doesn´t mean the same than having them for thousands.”

Neither of them mean anything under current international law. In that way, they are the same.

“What´s with all the 中華 thing?”

It is usually called Middle Kingdom / tributary state philosophy or world view in English. I don’t think that there is anything controversial about suggesting that this has been a major feature of Chinese political thought. All of your arguments about Chinese political legitimacy in conquered areas is based in this philosophy.

“Not all Uyghurs have been targeted though.”

Random targeting is what Jing advocated and you gave thumbs up too, however. See why I’m annoyed? Did you really mean that you think that the Han should arm up and defend themseleves? That I would have sympathy for, but that’s not what Jing suggested at all.

“you tell them to be “conciliatory” and don´t “essentialize”.”

They have tens of thousands of troops and the whole police establishment to protect them. And yes, I will tell them to be conciliatory and to not essentialze – they should protect themselves, but random killings by LYNCH MOBS? “Revenge” against people who may be innocent? Give me a break! You can tell me that I’d be scared, but I can tell you that I wouldn’t be taking to the streets for random acts of race-based murder.

“And yeah well, I may be medieval, but that´s how many, if not most Chinese (and Asian) think too.”

No, that’s just silly. China has problems, but it also has a widespread and very modern concept of the rule of law. China argues that the Nanking Massacre was a horrific war crime based entirely in postwar concepts of human rights and international law. You can’t have it both ways, so join us (and most people in Asia) in the 21st century already!

“What kind of “conciliatory measure” can be taken here? How is China supposed to react to a race riot against the majority population?”

How about by punishing offenders by law, not by extra legal violence? This seems to be what China is doing, actually. How about cracking down on the extra legal violence? How about admitting that there is a need for a new way of doing things – more Uighur jobs (can be done rather easily), more attention paid to Uighur cultural concerns (that Chinese government feels that they have to attack minority cultures and langauges is a sign of weakness, they should not think that diversity devalues the state), and dialogue with Uighur leaders who are not hand picked by the Han? Everything that I wrote is – A – not that hard to do, and B – way better than lynch mobs.

“And what´s the paradigm in China´s north ”

Sorry about not being specific, but it IS north of the Chinese heartland, right?

4. M-Bone says:

Sure, let’s leave the discussion on the Chinese government direction, but one more point on history -

“Last time I checked the actual government is not Confucian though, so hard to see why they are obliged to follow Mencius.”

They shouldn’t feel obligated. But people who argue that WESTERN culture is like so and CHINESE culture is like so for political reasons would do well to actually think about what Chinese culture is. There is plenty in the Chinese tradition that could support current international views of human rights and non-pollution. The problem is other parts of the tradition are being cherry-picked to support questionable political directions and sold as 5000 years of history.

5. Aceface says:

“but the Tibet problem wouldn´t exist if the Dalai didn´t get western money. It´s politics as usual”

What’s wrong about that? Sun Yat-sen took money from Japanese.why shouldn’t Dalai Lama get donation from western supporters.At least Dalai Lama never got a penny from western government.Unlike Pol Pot who gets loads of cash from Beijing.

“I just don´t think Uyghurs will EVER recognize the legitimacy of the chinese, they are muslims, they can´t follow infidels by god´s command. It´s how it works. ”

“I think Uyghur hates Han Chinese because they were in their land. With only bogus historical or self-defense claim whatsoever.Their religion has nothing to do with this.”

Yeah, it’s not like the Lebanese were content to be occupied by Syria because they were fellow Muslims. I think the religious aspect is really only relevant here insofar as it is a major identifying factor in establishing the definition of Uyghur identity, which let’s not forget goes back way farther than their conversion to Islam.

7. Aceface says:

Rabiya Kadeer is a muslima,Dalai Lama is a buddhist and Lee Teng-hui is a presbyterian christian.
    They are all seeking independence and freedom from Beijing’s rule and religion has nothing to do with their political stance.

8. Jing says:

I don’t have that much time to argue over the more detailed points this morning as I’ve got to get to work (ack, checking blogs at 8:00 in the morning, im hopeless!).

However, to quickly address M-bone, I’m not advocating genocide. If I were, I’d be man enough to do it and explicitly state I want the Uighurs turned into soylent green. All I said was that that better alternative to craven surrender in the face of murderous rioters and disingenuous exiles to achieving peace is to shoot a couple hundred of the Uighur rioters to set an example.

Also I don’t see why people keep bringing up Manchuko as a comparison to Xinjiang. Doesn’t anyone remember that Japan never actually even laid claim to it. There was a reason they dug up Puyi to head up the government.

9. M-Bone says:

Manchuria – legal position very different, much behavior the same. We bring it up because the Chinese government has a hard on for what happened 75 years ago and insists that peace consitution-bound Japan must learn the lessons of history while taking precious little account of those lessons itself. As I mentioned above, they can always look at Mencius if they want a Chinese history lovefest. Why does it always need to be Shang Yang?

“Like lining up a couple hundred Uighurs in front of a firing squad”

Did this mean, “Execute the Uighurs who murdered innocent civilians”? Saying “round up a bunch of people from (group) and kill them” is advocating genocide by the definitions that I cited (once again, killing 10 people can be genocidal if you kill them because of a group marker like religion or culture). If you didn’t mean this, you have to be careful to make yourself more clear as “Like lining up a couple hundred Uighurs in front of a firing squad” sure doesn’t sound very selective or a like logical policy option.

“After enough lynchings, I figure the Uighurs will get the message.”

Once again, if you don’t mean it, don’t write it.

Note that I don’t think that you really mean this and I’m not worried that you would participate in such an act, but it is disturbing, however, how you would break an argument like that out because you think that you can score some points in a blog comments thread.

As I mentioned to Spandrell, I’m one of the people who does not see independence as a real option. Way to totally alienate people who may have found your fundamental point about the way that China should be exercising state power convincing. I’m generally in the “give them a break on global warming” and “let’s not let different ideas of human rights breakdown bilateral relationships” camp, but each time that I see comments like the ones that you made, the way that the Chinese press is spinning the riots, etc. I get a bit closer to the “screw China” camp.

10. spandrell says:

Yeah, I think the people should arm up. Having the government round up random Uyghurs in defense of Han people would be counterproductive. But the Uyghurs went rampage killing random people; if they can hey, who can´t.

Aceface:

“LDP has mandate by popular election”
    “Dalai Lama hasn´t got a penny from western governments”
    Yeeeeeeah right

My understanding is that the Uyghur started rioting after the police tried to shut down a peaceful demonstration protesting the anti-Uyghur migrant worker riot that had occurred in response to false rumors started by a disgruntled former employee that Uyghur workers had raped a woman in the factory. It certainly doesn’t make the murder of innocent Han civilian bystanders (such as this tragic case, very well reported by the NYT) but it was hardly as one-sided as Spandrell is saying.

12. M-Bone says:

“LDP has mandate by popular election”

Need convincing that Japan is a democracy? Look back at every postwar election and ask yourself honestly – could I have voted for the major opposition party without hesitation?

I’m very close to the Shamin and Kyosanto on a lot of issues, but would I have trusted them to govern at a time that GDP growth was over 8% and the party meetings of those two consisted of foaming at the mouth arguments about how Althusser revises the dialectic?

13. Aceface says:

“Yeeeeeeah right”
    Well,Perhaps LDP may lose popular mandate by the autumn for the second time in the post war history.But still doesn’t change the fact that they’ve got power through ballot box for the past 50 years.

So,you have any knowledge thr DL got funded by any foreign government,Spendrell?
    Surprise.For I’ve been thinking there’s no government in the world with enough guts to do this at the face of China.Personally I think Japan should give humanitarian support to the refugees in Dharamsala.

While I don’t share any of your Islamophobia.I must inform you that none of post CIS central asian nations are Islamic state.
    Threat of the Islamic fundamentalism is the reason why all of these states had joined Shanghai Cooperation Organization.Whether you’d like to admit it or not,Uyghurs(and Tibetans) are standing up for the same reasons that Chinese and Koreans stood up against Japanese in the 20′s and 30′s,not the same reasons Osama Bin Laden knock down the world trade center.You can tell that to your chinese pals,because they probably won’t listen to what I say.

14. Aceface says:

“I said was that that better alternative to craven surrender in the face of murderous rioters and disingenuous exiles to achieving peace is to shoot a couple hundred of the Uighur rioters to set an example. ”

No offense,Jing.But this all reminds me of a guy named 朱建栄.A Chinese scholar formally worked(and still does part time)for Shanghai Institute of International Affairs and professor of Toyo Gakuen Univ in Tokyo who is considered as the official mouth piece of Chinese diplomatic authority in Japan.
    Anyway,this guy has been widely regarded as “liberal” and “cosmopolitan” and “understands Japan” by all around media circle.But one time he slipped his mouth in 1996 during Taiwanese Presidential Election Campaign on “Bettter alternative to set example”,which was shooting missiles randomly at Taiwanese soil.He said(and wrote,If my fading memory is correct on now dufunct 世界週報)that “”missiles with conventional warheads won’t make that many casualities,but would give Taiwanese enough lessons.”

My idea is there’s strong tendencies among Chinese that legitimize use of force to defend the unity of nation that they state.Either they are “murderous rioters and disingenuous exiles” or plain democratic electoral candidate or even Novel Peace award laureate.

15. M-Bone says:

The casualization of talk about violence by many Chinese intellectuals and policy figures, combined with a form of historical essentialism that has it that Chinese are culturally incapable of aggression or organized brutality is one of the reasons why people outside of those debates are drawn in an come down so hard on things like the treatment of Uighurs. In a way, you have to hand it to Jing for at least being honest about brutal policies. The Chinese government wants to have their cake and eat it too.

16. M-Bone says:

Since we were ragging on Japanese rightists here, thought that I would share this from a Georgie Geyer opinion article “McNamara’s Ghost” (available from Yahoo News, do you guys eat links here?) – “58,000 Americans and tens of thousands of Vietnamese, Cambodians and Laotians killed, and an America that has still not come to grips with the reason and the reasoning for that war.” Tens? Come on. Even Bungei Shunju is up to 35,000 for Nanjing.

17. Aceface says:

Related with death toll,it seems almost entire J-media seems to have no trouble with using death toll(184) coming from Chinese authority instead of World Uyghur Conference(around 1000).
    And even the right wing Sankei is presenting interview of Chinese researcher on Xinjiang that more or less parpahrase government view.(He rejects religious factor,yet blame exiled Uyghur’s involvement)

I guess SPANDRELL ‘s comment on J-media reporting as
    “Guess you saw all the Uighurs in Japan saying that the “peaceful demonstrations” of “youngsters believing in the government, holding Chinese flags” were just massacred by sadistic chinese police. Give me a break.” is completly out of touch with reality.

Very good background article here on Wang Lequan, the head of the Xinjiang government, and some relevant Chinese politics.

19. spandrell says:

テレビで見ましたから自分で。在日ウイグル人どうのこうの。
    朝日新聞が中国に甘いのは今の話じゃありませんし。

By the way, Sun-bin has the best wrap up of the whole incident. A pity he doesn´t comment here anymore.

20. Aceface says:

朝日新聞は最近は中国にけっこうキビシイよ。

Sun-binの意見は君らと同工異曲だね。ウイグル人やチベット人を生かすも殺すもオレたち次第だから、外国人はすっこんでろ、みたいな論点で。僕は全然評価しないけど。あれが中国人の意見のBESTなら中国で少数民族の暴動が絶えない理由も判るよ。

21. Aceface says:

SPANDRELL
    それだけ日本語が分かるってことは相当にキミも人が悪いな。日本の言論状況や基本的に親中的なメディアの報道があること知ってながら、「日本人が満州のこと持ち出すなんて、笑わせる」とか日本のメディアがウイグル亡命組織の情報を鵜呑みにした報道してる、とか、自民党は民意で選ばれことに対して鼻で笑ったりするワケ?どういう基準を持つとそういう風に事実関係をデタラメに歪曲できるのかね。

22. spandrell says:

sun-inの意見はちゃんと読んでましたた?そこで引用しているのはほとんど中国語のコラムだからわからないだろうけど、基本的にそこで言ってるのは、ウイグルやチベット人に対して国が寛容的な政策を採ってるからこそ暴れているっていう話なんですよ。そもそもあそこら辺の社会は教育重視とか企業力がないので経済力で格差が生じるのは自然の結果だし、それに加えて国が工場や公務員にアメリカみたいに法律で最低限何パーセントを雇用しなきゃいけないことにしているので、いろんな衝突が起きると。暴れたら殺そうぜなんて言ってませんよ。

僕人悪いって言われる筋合いないんですけど、日本のメディアは基本的に親中だと?親中でも何でもないじゃないんですか。中国を批判すると中国政府が文句言うからとりあえず悪口言わんとこうって言う話だけじゃないですか?一環してウイグル人の観点を報道してるわけでもないが、全体的に批判能力がなくて、誰の観点もそのまま出しているんじゃないですか?日本のメディアは自分の論点なんて持っているんですか?価値判断しないのは日本のメディアの特徴だと思うんですけどね。つまんないけどアメリカみたいな喧嘩社会を避けて、日本人らしく和をとっていていいんじゃないですか。
    そもそも日本には欧米の民意みたいなものなんて存在しないと言っていますよ僕は。Civil Societyらしいものは何もない。自民党も何かのイデオロギーを持っているわけじゃないし。
    というと違う話になるからそのままにしておきましょう。

23. Aceface says:

“そこで引用しているのはほとんど中国語のコラムだからわからないだろうけど、基本的にそこで言ってるのは、ウイグルやチベット人に対して国が寛容的な政策を採ってるからこそ暴れているっていう話なんですよ。”

それはラサの暴動のときに奴さんはご丁寧に英語で書いてくれたからよく理解できたよ。
    しゃべっていることは、戦前の関東軍と変わらないね。「暴支應懲」ってヤツさ。
    中国人が自国の言論の自由が確立していない自国のメディアからを鵜呑みにして考える「寛容的な政策」と実際に寛容な政策とはまるで違う。そもそも中国の憲法を字義通りに読めば、新疆もチベットも自治区のはずなんだ。そうなっていないところが問題なのに、君もSun-binもそこは意図的に無視している。Sun-binがどういう素性の人間かは正直しらない。ある意味、かわいそうなヤツだとはおもうけどね。でも君は違う。日本に住んでいて中国人でもないんだろ?無責任だよね。

”いろんな衝突が起きると。暴れたら殺そうぜなんて言ってませんよ。 ”

ああ、そっちは君とJingの意見だったね。

”日本のメディアは基本的に親中だと?親中でも何でもないじゃないんですか。中国を批判すると中国政府が文句言うからとりあえず悪口言わんとこうって言う話だけじゃないですか?”

それだけではないし、いずれにしても、それも一種の親中じゃないの?少なくとも今回の件で、あの国のやってる事みて悪口いわないなんてさ。

”日本のメディアは自分の論点なんて持っているんですか?”

たとえば産経と朝日じゃ伝える内容もだいぶ違うね。いずれにしても読めば一目瞭然だとおもうけど。

”価値判断しないのは日本のメディアの特徴だと思うんですけどね。つまんないけどアメリカみたいな喧嘩社会を避けて、日本人らしく和をとっていていいんじゃないですか。 ”

客観中立性を重んじる傾向があるとは思うけど、それは署名記事ではなく、実質的に複数の人間が記事を書いているから。価値判断をしないわけではない。いずれにしても、今回の件に関しては、すべてのメディアが多かれ少なかれ中国の人権侵害を批判している。

”そもそも日本には欧米の民意みたいなものなんて存在しないと言っていますよ僕は。Civil Societyらしいものは何もない。自民党も何かのイデオロギーを持っているわけじゃないし”

それは君の意見だろ?「欧米の民意みたいなもの」が具体的になにかを指してるかは、しらないけど、現実に民意があるから世論調査や選挙の結果は毎回違うわけだろ。オレだって自分の意見をこうして開陳してるわけだしさ。

自民党のイデオロギーに関していうと、反共というイデオロギーは明確にもっていたよ。

Civil Societyはもちろんあるよ。日本じゃ市民がデモを起こしても武力で陳あるされることはないし、そもそもそこまで危機が表面化する前に、そうした問題点は解決されるか、少なくとも不平不満は自由に表明できる。実際君も今そうしているわけだろ?何のリスクもなく、しかも、それを聞く相手が、侮辱と受け止めずに冷静に受け止めてもらえることを当然視しながらね。
    こうしたことが市民社会の産物じゃなくて、なんなのかね。
    少なくとも市民社会や人権やマスメディアの自由に関して、日本は中国とは月とスッポンだね。もちろん日本が月で中国がスッポンだ。

”僕人悪いって言われる筋合いないんですけど”

いや、おおいにあるね。
    M-Boneだって君にガキ扱いされるいわれはないし、オレだって君に”Yeaah Right”なんて鼻であしらわれるようなことを言われる筋合いもないね。

いずれにしても少数民族への弾圧に対して、thumbs up for the lynching thing.なんて意見を持ってるような野郎は「人が悪い」程度でラッキーと思うべきだ。

24. Aceface says:

×「自国の言論の自由が確立していない自国のメディアからを鵜呑みにして考える」

○言論の自由が確立されていない自国のメディアを鵜呑みにして考える

25. M-Bone says:

Japanese Civil Society

Protest movement over school textbooks results in
    New History textbook – .4%
    Other history textbooks – 99.6%
    Score 1

Early 1970s enviornmental movement results in Japan becoming an international leader on emissions.
    Score 2

Something like 10% of the population of Okinawa turns out in mass protests after the rape of a 12 year old girl by 3 US servicemen.
    Score 3

Those are just a few of my favorites.

On of the reasons why Japan has a low-key, but often effective, civil society is that they have to worry about graft and stuff, not living in a brutal authoritarian craphole. When there was a politician trying to push Japan in that direction in the late 1950s, there were significant protests against the expansion of police powers and Kishi’s thug government. It’s not like Japan doesn’t have problems, but the absence of civil society ain’t one of ‘em. In any case, one of the reasons why we hear little about Japanese protests is that they quite seldom end in police busting heads.

26. spandrell says:

M-bone, that´s not a civil society, it´s isolated interest groups pushing for themselves. Which is good, sure. But there´s not much political discussion as a country. It just doesn´t happen. Which I like, I get tired when I go back to Europe and half of every conversation ends up in politics. Here the bureaucreats end up doing what they want anyway.

Aceface日本人と接しているとだいたい丁寧にやっていこうという気持ちだが、そちらは2ちゃん式で中傷的ならこっちも手加減しないでおく。野郎って言われてる時点で敬語なんて使わなくていいよな。Sun-binは可哀想なやつだとか本当に何様なんだ?そっちの意見に対して異議があんならそのまま言えばいいじゃんか、中傷なんて小学生でもできる。
    そもそもSun-binは香港に住んでいて、香港では日本を遥かに越える自由なメディアが存在し、中国政府の悪口をしている報道は山ほどある場所だから、情報が伝わらないわけではない。そもそも中国の悪いところがほとんど香港のメディアを通じて発覚している。
    俺は日本に住んでいるからって日本の見方をする義務はないぞ。別にこの国は嫌いじゃないし、いい場所だとは思うけど、かといってすべて正しいわけじゃないよ。日本は実質上民主国家じゃないというのは批判ではないし。お前らが作った政治体制だから好きにやればいい。うまく行ってるし。

今の中国と関東軍がたいして変わらないというのは、満鉄の工場に最低限15%の現地人雇用の法律があったかな?ラサで731部隊みたいなのが設置されていたら認めるよ。地違うと思うがな。

日本のメディアに関しては、客観的でありながら、軽い民主主義がいいっていう姿勢をとるが、あまりつよく主張しないっていう姿勢はすべて一緒じゃないの?中国の悪口言わないのは親中なら、中東諸国の悪口だって言わないから親イスラムとみなしていい?それだったら日本のメディアは嫌っているのは北朝鮮しかないじゃないか。みんな仲良し、平和国家日本ていうのは唯一のイデオロギーだろ?
    新聞はまあだいぶ違うのはわかるが、毎日読んでいるわけじゃないから、主にテレビのかるーい、小学生向け的な報道の話をしていたんだ。

「それを聞く相手が、侮辱と受け止めずに冷静に受け止めてもらえる」
    侮辱と受け止めてるじゃないかそっちは。別にM-boneにはガキ扱いしてないし、そっちに鼻で笑ったってどうしたよ。傷ついたんかい。日本でデモは武力で鎮圧されないのは本当だが、デモないじゃんか。この前日教組がどっかのデモが表参道にあって、一斜線しか使えなかったんだね。日本は言論の自由をもうちょっと頭いい手段で統制しているだけなんじゃないの?

自民党は日本国民の意思を代表しているととても思えないんだよ。しかも自民党がどれだけ政策を実際決めてるかっていうところも怪しいしね。反共っていうのはイデオロギーだと。それだけ?共産党と違ってたら何でもいいと。ものすごい深い思想なんだね。自民党はイデオロギーの違う派閥の共同体だっていうのは自民党内でも認めてるんだし、既得権益者はそれを守るために作られた政党。日本の戦後の経済運営がよかったのは自民党のおかげか?

で俺は中国の方がいい国だとか、自由だとか毛頭言ってないからね。比較したがるのは日本人だけ。毎回中国行くとネット規制で腹立つよ俺も。かといって今すぐ日本みたいな言論の自由の保障をしろって言うのはアホじゃないの?そんな簡単な話じゃないんで。

原則として少数民族の弾圧に賛成する人は野郎になるという話と日本が言うと。本当に笑える。

27. tomojiro says:

SPANDRELL

I am interested about your opinion after reading this letter from a traveler in Kashgar.

Or about the opinion of this Chinese bloger about Han-Uighur relationship (in Chinese)

After reading this, do you still insist about “thumbs up for the lynching thing”?

28. Aceface says:

”本人と接しているとだいたい丁寧にやっていこうという気持ちだが、そちらは2ちゃん式で中傷的ならこっちも手加減しないでおく。野郎って言われてる時点で敬語なんて使わなくていいよな。”

筋道たてて論破されれば逆ギレか。別に手加減なんてしないで全力でこいよ。

”Sun-binは可哀想なやつだとか本当に何様なんだ?の意見に対して異議があんならそのまま言えばいいじゃんか、中傷なんて小学生でもできる”

彼の前にコメントを別件で書いたことがある。全然違う方向に勝手に話を持ってかれたので、議論は無理とこちらで判断した。ちなみに「かわいそう」というのは中傷じゃなくて、同情さ。
    それからオレが何様だって別に君には関係ないだろ?何様ならそっちもご同様だ。もっともウイグル人やイスラム教徒に対する意見を読む限り、頭の悪いファシストか人種差別主義者のどちらかみたいだけどな。

”香港では日本を遥かに越える自由なメディアが存在し、中国政府の悪口をしている報道は山ほどある場所だから、情報が伝わらないわけではない。”

遥かにだって?ご冗談を。香港メディアのガセは四六時中だよ。日本にだって、半ば亡命してるみたいな人が秋田の国際強要大学に一人いるぜ。Willy Wo-Lap Lam、South China Morning Post でグぐって見たら?

”俺は日本に住んでいるからって日本の見方をする義務はないぞ。別にこの国は嫌いじゃないし、いい場所だとは思うけど、かといってすべて正しいわけじゃないよ。”

もちろんそうだ。でも今の話題は中国のウイグル問題。そして中国は間違ってるね。そして君はそれを認めない。

”日本は実質上民主国家じゃないというのは批判ではないし。”

そうだね。「批判」じゃない。単なる「誤解」だ。

”今の中国と関東軍がたいして変わらないというのは、満鉄の工場に最低限15%の現地人雇用の法律があったかな?ラサで731部隊みたいなのが設置されていたら認めるよ。”

満州=新疆論に関してはM-Boneがすでに説明したからはぶくが。中国の今に多少の進歩があるのは当然だろう。関東軍の満州は20世紀初頭のハナシ。今は21世紀だ。もっとも満州には核実験場はなかったから、被爆者はいなかったけどね。

”新聞はまあだいぶ違うのはわかるが、毎日読んでいるわけじゃないから、主にテレビのかるーい、小学生向け的な報道の話をしていたんだ。”

それ君が日本のメディアを判断する唯一の基準なわけ?単に読んでもいないくせに議論に参加しようとしてるだけじゃん。日本人の美徳の一つは自分が知らない、あるいは意見を特にもっていないことは、素直に知らない、意見がない、と認めることだよね。「生兵法は怪我の元」とい言葉を君に贈っておこう。

”侮辱と受け止めてるじゃないかそっちは。M-boneにはガキ扱いしてないし、そっちに鼻で笑ったってどうしたよ。傷ついたんかい。”
    別に。ヒマつぶしの相手ができて喜んでるよ。実際返事書いて手楽しいし、君日本語達者だから助かるしさ。それに痛いところつかれてドギマギしてるのは、君でしょ。

ちなみに君がM-BONEについて書いてたことは
    SPANDRELLJULY 9, 2009 4:21 AM
    ”M-bone, I haven’t heard an argument like that since primary school.”

And then

SPANDRELL JULY 9, 2009 7:30 AM
    ”Now we’re in high school, you threaten to lock me up under “international law”!

Well,Spand.You’re grown man now,Have more control and responsibility in your own words!

“日本でデモは武力で鎮圧されないのは本当だが、デモないじゃんか。”

別にデモしなくても意義申し立てができるし、ましてや要求が通るとあっては、集まるだけムダだよね。

“この前日教組がどっかのデモが表参道にあって、一斜線しか使えなかったんだね。日本は言論の自由をもうちょっと頭いい手段で統制しているだけなんじゃないの? ”

あたりまえだ。デモ申請をして交通渋滞を起こすことが出来れば、嫌がらせの手段として乱用されるのは目に見えている。政治的意義申し立ての権利と法の支配の両立は自由な市民社会の基本中の基本だろ?
    まずデモは「集会の自由」であって、「言論の自由」とは異なる。それにこれのドコが「統制」なわけ?統制とは、デモの集会の規模や時間や取り上げる要求に法的規制を設けるならば、あてはまる。これは単純にデモ隊の道路利用と他の利用者の利便を考えた「調整」でしょ。

”自民党は日本国民の意思を代表しているととても思えないんだよ。”

まあ、オレもある程度は同意するけど、議院民主制は選挙結果がすべてだからね。

”しかも自民党がどれだけ政策を実際決めてるかっていうところも怪しいしね。”

自民党が組閣した内閣の責任において政策を施行すれば、それは自民党が決定した政策だよ。実際に立案したのが、官僚か、審議会の議院か、あるいはシンクタンクの研究員なんてことは関係ない。

”反共っていうのはイデオロギーだと。それだけ?”
    すくなくとも一つはあるってこと。”ひとつある”、ということと”ない”ということは異なる。小学生の算数のハナシ。

”自民党はイデオロギーの違う派閥の共同体だっていうのは自民党内でも認めてるんだし、”

おいおい、”自民党も何かのイデオロギーを持っているわけじゃないし。”っていったの君だぜ?それに自民党が派閥ごとに違うイデオロギーもってるなんて初めて聞いたよ。麻生太郎と
    河野洋平は同じ派閥だぜ?

”既得権益者はそれを守るために作られた政党。”

それを”保守政党”って呼ぶんだ。付け加えると自民党は保守政党。

”で俺は中国の方がいい国だとか、自由だとか毛頭言ってないからね。比較したがるのは日本人だけ”

ああ、たしか、君は「ウイグル人へのリンチに賛成!!」っていってたんだよな。悪かった。
    でも、君だって日本引き合いにだして比較してるぜ。それにM-Boneはカナダ人だ。

”毎回中国行くとネット規制で腹立つよ俺も。”

まったくだ。You Tubeが中国で時たま繋がらなくなったばかりに、自分が見たい時にシンプソンズが見れなくなるのは本当に悲劇だよな。それにくらべればウイグル人が数百人撃ち殺されるなんて大騒ぎすることじゃないよな。

”かといって今すぐ日本みたいな言論の自由の保障をしろって言うのはアホじゃないの?そんな簡単な話じゃないんで。 ”

誰もそんなことはいっていない。でも中国国内に住んでない中国人ブロガーまで、中国政府と同じスタンスを取るのは変だよね。特に君みたいに言論の自由を保障された日本にいるヤツはさ。

”原則として少数民族の弾圧に賛成する人は野郎になるという話と日本が言うと。本当に笑える。”

目が笑ってないぜ、ぼうや。でも大抵の日本人は少数民族の弾圧には反対で、なんらかの制度的保護に賛成している。
    これも読んでみな。きっともっと笑えるから。

29. M-Bone says:

Spandrell – look up civil society in a dictionary. It doesn’t mean what you are saying it does. Japan has a solid one, not super, but solid. I’m not sure if having a super one is actually that good thing as it can bring about radical anti-immigrant groups and all sorts of other stuff which we don’t really see in Japan (note the word “radical” there before getting picky).

Those examples that I mentioned also involved the very demonstrations (and meetings, seminars, phone pressure, letter-writing campaigns, etc.) that you are telling Aceface don’t happen. Japan also has so many demonstrations on the local level that it is hard to keep up – look into Burakumin, disabled rights, or the recent haken movements (hakenmura, etc.)

Anyway, if there is some public issue in Japan that you think is not being discussed, I’ll be happy to recommend books so that you can read up on it. For anything really important, I’m sure it will be a long list.

In addition, does Nikkyoso really need to street protest? Didn’t a cabinet minister get shitcanned about 8 months back just for breathing a criticism of them and indulging in a bit of the national mythology that the group hates?

30. spandrell says:

Tomojiro, I have an Uyghur friend who tells me all that and more every single time we talk. And how is a guy who’s blog is called “维吾尔人需要人权” supposed to be impartial? Not like Han people have human rights either.

M-bone, of course things are being discussed, and if they shout loud enough they do get some solution. But there’s no “total” discussion about things. People may complain about some isolated case of polution, but nobody complains about the whole countryside being a pool of concrete, about the Nokyo system, about how kids have to study 12 hours a day to pass an exam, etc. The big things aren’t subject of discussion. So the terms of political discourse are much more reduced than in the West. Sure you’ve noticed.

Aceface: 日本語であまり論争したことないから雰囲気があまり掴めないけど、こんな感じで上から目線で馬鹿にしながらやるんなら、乗ってやるよ。こんな下品感じになるから日本人が政治をあまりしゃべらないんだろうね。

”「かわいそう」というのは中傷じゃなくて、同情さ”
    Sun-binさんはそっちの同情も何も必要ないんだ。自分と意見が違う人に対してこんな非人間扱いするのは自由だが、それで俺が頭の悪いファシストになるのは面白いな。イスラムが嫌いなら俺は人種差別主義者で話にならんと。いやあ、在日のイラン人を100倍増やしてくださいよそんなイスラム好きなら。すぐ気づく。
    Willy Wo Lapさんは江沢民の怒りを買ったんだね。まあ、それはその新聞は首にしないと北京の駐在員を追い出されるとかそういうこっとだったんだろうね。それは会社の判断でやったんだろう。政府としてプレッシャーをかけるのは普通だし。香港に1年間住んでたらもちろんそういう理由でテレビでは露骨な悪口は言わないが、林檎日報っていう中国の悪口しか言わない新聞もあり、中国に対して迎合したくないならいくらでも言える。中国政府閣僚の愛人の写真集とかすごいもの売ってるからね。自由極まりない。

”でも今の話題は中国のウイグル問題。そして中国は間違ってるね。”
    そっちのいう正しい解決は中国人がこぞって新疆から撤退し、領土をウイグル人に渡すこと。それなら中国はおそらく永遠に間違い続けていくだろう。
    ”被爆者はいなかったけどね。 ”
    まあ生きていながら解剖された人いるけどね。
    新疆にはウイグルは60年代から半分以下の人口だから、おそらく被爆者は漢族も入ってるし、地理的な考慮でそこを選んだんだろうが。日本は戦争中核兵器を解決できたなら普通に重慶市内に落としたんだろうな。
    ”単に読んでもいないくせに議論に参加しようとしてるだけじゃ”
    毎日読んでいないというのはまったく読んでいないわけじゃない。俺は日本のメディアは全部ウイグルの見方をしていてだめだとか言ってないし。テレビでああいう報道もあったといっただけ。日本のメディア全体に対して価値判断を出したわけじゃないし。国際報道に対してレベル悪くないと思うよ実際。自分は記者だっけ?まあそんな反応しなくていいよ。

”あたりまえだ。デモ申請をして交通渋滞を起こすことが出来れば、嫌がらせの手段として乱用されるのは目に見えている。”
    ああヨーロッパ行ってそう言ってくれ。本当にめんどくさいよ月一回でああいうの。面白いことにそういう論理でデモを抑制しているのは日本だけなんだね。韓国だってある。日本だけは運転者の気持ちを考えている。すばらしい。

”自民党が組閣した内閣の責任において政策を施行すれば、それは自民党が決定した政策だよ”
    いやそういう形の話じゃなくて。どっちみち形は欧米からパクってるんだし、実際国のあり方は誰が決めているんだ?そこの方が重要だろう、法律的責任じゃなくて。大臣が座ってるだけなのに官僚の失敗の責任とってやめてもしょうがないだろう。

すくなくとも一つはあるってこと。”ひとつある”、ということと”ない”ということは異なる。小学生の算数のハナシ。 ”
    小学生で全体と部分の区別を教わらないか?反共はあるアイディアであって網羅的なイデオロギーじゃないだろうどう考えても。共産主義は共産主義であって反資本主義じゃないんだ。
    ”麻生太郎と
    河野洋平は同じ派閥だぜ? ”
    そこまで詳しくないな。同じ派閥でも意見違うならなおさら金を集めるための集団でしかない。納得。
    ”それを”保守政党”って呼ぶんだ。付け加えると自民党は保守政党。 ”
    Edmund Burke泣くよ。世界中の保守党にはもっと崇高な思想があると思う。既得権益は左翼でも守ろうとする人多いし。そういう区別じゃないね。

ウイグル人は自分の町でもないウルムチで暴動を起こし、平民を殺し、店と車を焼き払い、今日は石油タンクまで爆発したっけ。
    実際ウイグル人は優先待遇だからな?工場の従業員の15%という枠があって、重要ポストにもただで入れてもらって、センター試験で50点プラスされるからな?50点だぞ??そこそこ中国語をマスターすれば大学に行けるという優遇。そこで日常的にウルムチで問題を起こしていると。どうも。
    ”大抵の日本人は少数民族の弾圧には反対で”
    日本人は自分の国に違う文化を持っている少数民族ないからそんな贅沢なこと言えるんだな。台湾人が問題起こしたときは日本軍がどう対応したんだよ。同じじゃないかよ。

31. spandrell says:

アイヌの話は数千人しか残ってなくて観光に使いたいだけじゃねえかよ。中国だってああいうの山ほどある

32. Aceface says:

”Sun-binさんはそっちの同情も何も必要ないんだ。”

まったくだ。彼は選んでそういう意見を発信してるわけだし、同情が必要なのはチベット人やウイグル人たちのほうだね。

”自分と意見が違う人に対してこんな非人間扱いするのは自由だが、それで俺が頭の悪いファシストになるのは面白いな。”

少数民族の問題解決にリンチを提唱するのは、頭もよくないし、ファシストじみてると誰が聞いても思うよ。

”いやあ、在日のイラン人を100倍増やしてくださいよそんなイスラム好きなら。すぐ気づく。”

議論のすりかえだね。それにそんなにイスラム教徒が嫌いなら、ウイグル人を中国から独立させりゃあいいのに。むこうだって別に中国人のことを愛しているわけでもないみたいだしさ。

”Willy Wo Lapさんは江沢民の怒りを買ったんだね。まあ、それはその新聞は首にしないと北京の駐在員を追い出されるとかそういうこっとだったんだろうね。それは会社の判断でやったんだろう。政府としてプレッシャーをかけるのは普通だし。”

正確にいうとラムは社主のロバート・クォックの怒りを買ったんだ。クオックは共産党と密接な関係が指摘される人物だ。蘋果日報はガセだらけ。しかも一時期社主のジミー・ライは主要広告主に広告を引き下げられたり、他の事業に税務査察が入ったりして、一時期会社の登記を台湾に移したことがるハズ。香港が「日本より遥かに自由」なんて笑わせる。

”そっちのいう正しい解決は中国人がこぞって新疆から撤退し、領土をウイグル人に渡すこと。”

それは一つの解決策。ほかにも可能性はあると思うけど、自らそれを摘み取ってる。

”それなら中国はおそらく永遠に間違い続けていくだろう。 ”

たぶんね。だから中国は民主化もしないし、言論の自由も人権も法治も確立しない。

”まあ生きていながら解剖された人いるけどね”

まあね。でもそうした人権侵害は日本では過去完了系だ。そしてそうした行為を肯定する人間にはそれ相応のペナルティーが待っている。新疆や内モンゴルの核実験施設周辺では被爆する人は今も増え続けている。中国政府による様々な人権侵害もまだ続いている。

”日本は戦争中核兵器を解決できたなら普通に重慶市内に落としたんだろうな。”

もちろん。でも重要なことは開発できず、したがって使われなかったことだ。やってもいない行為で言いがかりをつけられてもな。

”俺は日本のメディアは全部ウイグルの見方をしていてだめだとか言ってないし。テレビでああいう報道もあったといっただけ。日本のメディア全体に対して価値判断を出したわけじゃないし。国際報道に対してレベル悪くないと思うよ実際。自分は記者だっけ?まあそんな反応しなくていいよ。”

ホラ、また意見を変えた。すこし理詰めで反論されるとすぐ自説を変える。

”面白いことにそういう論理でデモを抑制しているのは日本だけなんだね。韓国だってある。日本だけは運転者の気持ちを考えている。すばらしい。 ”

韓国では今、首都でのデモ自体を禁止しようとしてるよ。ばかげてると思うけど。デモの目的の一つは広く社会に自分の立場をアピールすること、無関係の人を敵に回すのは逆効果と考えているのは、国鉄時代にストをすればするほど、国民の支持を失ったために民営化のときの首切りに同情されなかったという歴史的経験もある。

”どっちみち形は欧米からパクってるんだし、実際国のあり方は誰が決めているんだ?”

政府、世論、有権者、官僚、国会のバランスで決まるのは多元的な民主主義国家では当たり前。

”法律的責任じゃなくて。大臣が座ってるだけなのに官僚の失敗の責任とってやめてもしょうがないだろう。 ”

しかし、大臣がやめなければ、それこそ問題。自民党の支配が許容されたのは、一つの政権が短命で政治的に脆弱だから。大臣の首がすげ変わるのは、官僚が強いというだけでなく、野党やメディアや世論が政府に対して影響力をもっている証拠だろ。それすらもできなければ、それこそ日本には民主主義がないということになる。

”小学生で全体と部分の区別を教わらないか?反共はあるアイディアであって網羅的なイデオロギーじゃないだろうどう考えても。共産主義は共産主義であって反資本主義じゃないんだ”

意味不明。イデオロギーの意味を辞書で調べてくれ。それから共産主義は反資本主義だよ。共産党宣言に書いてあるじゃん。

”Edmund Burke泣くよ”

バークは泣いて喜ぶよ。「神の創った秩序は、あらゆる物事の基礎である」。フランス革命の時代に教会と王権神授説に逆戻りすることを主張したんだから。

”ウイグル人は自分の町でもないウルムチで暴動を起こし、平民を殺し、店と車を焼き払い、今日は石油タンクまで爆発したっけ。 ”

ウルムチは新疆ウイグル自治区の首府で、ウイグル族は自治区の主体民族。ウルムチはある意味、彼らの町。死者に関する事実関係はまだ不明だから、誰が誰を殺したかはわからない。石油タンクは暴動と無関係と当局が発表したと、中国には手厳しい産経は報道している。

”ウイグル人は優先待遇だからな?工場の従業員の15%という枠があって、重要ポストにもただで入れてもらって、センター試験で50点プラスされるからな?50点だぞ??そこそこ中国語をマスターすれば大学に行けるという優遇。そこで日常的にウルムチで問題を起こしていると。どうも。 ”

独立すれば、ウイグル人の工場従業員枠は15%以上に確実になるね。しかも中国語をマスターする必要もない。中国は新疆を植民地にすることで、本来ウイグル人をはじめとする心境の人々に還元されるべき豊かな天然資源を国際価格を遥かに下回る価格で手にいれ、代わりにセンター試験に多少の色をつけて、ウイグル人に恩を売った気になっている。優遇策でもなんでもないね。単なる同化策だよ。

”日本人は自分の国に違う文化を持っている少数民族ないからそんな贅沢なこと言えるんだな。台湾人が問題起こしたときは日本軍がどう対応したんだよ。同じじゃないかよ”

なんどもいうが少数民族が中国に迷惑をかけているわけではない。少数民族の中には独立を望むものもいて、それを無理に中国が引き止めるから、問題ができる。中国の少数民族の全てが分離独立を望んでいるわけではないからね。自分で捲いたトラブルの種だ。人の国を「贅沢」呼ばわりするのは筋違いだ。いつでも中国は漢族だけの国になれるんだから。

台湾人が蜂起したときは、日本人は容赦なく弾圧した。確かに同じだね。そもそもオレたちはそれを一度も否定していない。今の中国みればみるほど30年代の日本そっくりって何度もいってるだろ?さっきから石井部隊とか工場で15%働いてるか?とか(当時の満州では日本の工場には満人は15%どころか、過半数がそうだよ。アホらしい。)反対してるのは君だよな。
    違う点は、64年前からもう日本は台湾人を弾圧していないということと、台湾の独立に武力行使の脅しをかけてまで反対しているのは中国ということだ。

”アイヌの話は数千人しか残ってなくて観光に使いたいだけじゃねえかよ。”

そらでた差別発言。「観光に使う」ってどういう意味だ。それに今議論されてるのは、生活保護のハナシだぜ。いずれにしても、アイヌ団体は日本国内で自由に活動できるし、権利も主張できるってとことが中国と違うところだよ。

33. Aceface says:

Spandrell does usual Japan discourse based on streotype.He ignores facts that contradicts his political discourse and reduce the analysis of society into fantasy.

“People may complain about some isolated case of polution, but nobody complains about the whole countryside being a pool of concrete”

Actually,I just came back from local NGO’s meeting of conservation of rural landscapes.There’s more than 14NPO’s just doing this “pool of concrete” issue just in West Aichi.

“about the Nokyo system, about how kids have to study 12 hours a day to pass an exam, etc.”

And I bet all these infos Spandrell gets comes from J-media coverage.Nokyo and 12 hours a day to study is one of the longest thriving social issues in Japan.These has been talked since I was a kid.There were many discussions,either “total” or “partial” however,there have been no complete solution which is a problem,but that doesn’t mean efforts aren’t paid.

“And God forbid I defend the Nikkyoso, commies they are. But it was pretty humiliating having them run besides running cars on a main street. ”

If rightwingers and gay activists and St.Patrick day parade has to walk besides the running car on Omotesando streets,then why shouldn’t Nikkyoso?
    What are you proposing instead.red carpet?

34. spandrell says:

“.These has been talked since I was a kid”
    And nothing’s happened. There you have it.
    Same with all the big issues. Nothing ever happens.

“少数民族の問題解決にリンチを提唱するのは、頭もよくないし”
    問題解決にはならないが、暴動の頻度が必ず減る。新疆の漢族の人口比率が年々少しずつ減ってるからね、暴動の恐怖で。ウイグル人は暴動を起こしているのは効果があるからだ。

”それにそんなにイスラム教徒が嫌いなら、ウイグル人を中国から独立させりゃあいいのに”
    独立したら、はい、もうひとつの中央アジアダメ国家誕生。おまけにイスラム主義。ちょうど今の世界に必要なものだ。中国の言いなりにならないならロシアのいいなりになるか、サウジアラビアかイランのいいなりに。

”蘋果日報はガセだらけ”
    蘋果日報みたいな新聞は日本では生き残れるかなぁ。あれだけ自民党の悪口言ったらどうなるんだろうね。ありえない。
    日本の新聞でさえ中国に対してあれだけ批判するものはない。

”言論の自由も人権も法治も確立しない。 ”
    相当進歩しているよ近年。ネットで露骨な中国の批判が出てきているし、警察や裁判の態度も変わってきているし。ちょっとずつだよ。
    でもチベット・新疆・台湾は別の話なんだよね。国防の話。台湾があるから今は中国は西側にアメリカ軍に囲まれていて、チベットで負けたらインドとめんどくさいことになるし、新疆とられたら資源なくなって困る。国家として当然の考慮。
    ちなみに核兵器をどこで実験すれば満足する?新疆と内モンゴルにしか砂漠がないんだけどな。嫌がらせでやったみたいにいうなよ。

”大臣の首がすげ変わるのは、官僚が強いというだけでなく、野党やメディアや世論が政府に対して影響力をもっている証拠だろ”

”それから共産主義は反資本主義だよ”

”バークは泣いて喜ぶよ”
    既得権益の保護だけ違うだろうおい。世界の秩序は神から授かったものなのでどうのこうの深い思想が入ってるだろう。今自分が儲かってるから何も変えないでおこうという話じゃない。かといってフランス革命で30年間ヨーロッパ全体戦争になったんだし。
    別に俺はバーク主義者じゃないけど、優れた理論は作っていた。自民党と比較しないでくれ。
    ”本来ウイグル人をはじめとする心境の人々”
    同化策をとらないでどうするんだ。言葉通じないようにしておけばいいのか。学校制度を統一しなければいいのか。

”少数民族の中には独立を望むものもいて、それを無理に中国が引き止めるから、問題ができる”

”いつでも中国は漢族だけの国になれるんだから。”
    なれないね。どの省にも多少の少数民族がいる。回族が全国に散らばっているし、完全に同化しているのに漢族に入れていない満族とかも相当の数いる。
    チベットとウイグル以外の民族が問題を起こしていないのは、数が少ないし、清の前からも中国に統治されていたから独立するのは想像もできないね。文化も言葉をほとんどなくして行ってるし。モンゴル族は暴れる候補なのにあまり問題を起こしていないのは前から興味あるけど、何か知っていたらぜひ教えてほしい。

”当時の満州では日本の工場には満人は15%どころか、過半数がそうだよ。アホらしい。”
    アホか。満州には日本人が労働者やるわけないじゃないか。奴隷経済だったんだろう。そもそも日本人少ないし。だがウルムチや資源がある場所はウイグルの労働を使わないで漢族自分自身で全部やっているんだ。ウイグル人を雇うのは搾取するんじゃなくて貴重な仕事をあげているんだよ。

”台湾の独立に武力行使の脅しをかけてまで反対しているのは中国ということだ。”

”「観光に使う」ってどういう意味だ”
    出たよ見せ掛け憤慨。そもそもアイヌ人何人いるよ。北海道の過半数だったら権利あげるか?台湾でも今やってるんじゃないか原住民権利。で本土文化ツアーやって儲かってるし。笑わせるよ

35. Aceface says:

”Same with all the big issues. Nothing ever happens””

Lots of things happens everyday.I suggest you to read papers a little bit carefully.

”(リンチは)問題解決にはならないが、暴動の頻度が必ず減る。 ”

じゃ、人種差別主義のファシストということは認めるわけだね。たぶんそのやりかたはウイグル族を過激化させるだけだとおもうけど。もっともそこまで追い込んだ上でテロリズム根絶の大義を掲げる気なんだろうね。

“独立したら、はい、もうひとつの中央アジアダメ国家誕生。おまけにイスラム主義。”

繰り返しで悪いが今の中央アジアにイスラム主義の国は一つもないよ。イスラム教徒が住んでいるということと、「イスラム主義」の違いぐらいは知ってるんだろうね。

世界には今「イスラム主義」と言える国は二つある。サウジアラビアとイランだ。問題がある国ではあるが、「ダメ国家」とはいえない。カネも影響力もあるしね。

どっちにしたって、別にそれは中国が心配することじゃないよ。

”中国の言いなりにならないならロシアのいいなりになるか、サウジアラビアかイランのいいなりに。 ”

中央アジアの国はどこの国のいいなりにもなっていない。キルギスやカザフスタンみたいに大国を競いあわせて、うまく外交してるよ。

”蘋果日報みたいな新聞は日本では生き残れるかなぁ。あれだけ自民党の悪口言ったらどうなるんだろうね。ありえない。 ”

ありえるさ。夕刊ゲンダイと夕刊フジって読んだことないの?そもそも自民党の悪口言ってないメディアって日本のどこにあるのさ?

”ちなみに核兵器をどこで実験すれば満足する?新疆と内モンゴルにしか砂漠がないんだけどな。嫌がらせでやったみたいにいうなよ。 ”

”いや、大臣が権力ないという証拠だな。やめても困ることがないからじゃないの?何か問題があってその問題の実際の責任者をつきとめて辞めさせるべきだろ。大臣も辞めるのも別に悪くないけど、そこでも問題解決になるかっていう話。 ”

ま、それには一理あるね。結局政権交代と憲法改正が必要だね。だけどそもそもキミが指摘してたのは、日本の民主主義の有無、っていうことで、問題解決の方法論じゃないでしょ。
    モンゴル人やウイグル人にとっては”嫌がらせ”以上のものだね。大体核実験場に選定されるところは遊牧民しかすまない。漢族なんていないよ。中国の有人宇宙船を発射した酒泉の衛星センターはもともと核ミサイル基地。モンゴル語ではバヤンノールという場所だ。強制移動させられたのは一人残らずモンゴル人さ。

”相当進歩しているよ近年。ネットで露骨な中国の批判が出てきているし、警察や裁判の態度も変わってきているし。ちょっとずつだよ。”

おいおい、日本の民主主義や市民社会にはずいぶん厳しいのに、中国には妙に甘いね。ネットでちょっとづつなんて変わんないよ。ウイグル人殺せとか叫んでる奴もいるのが中国のネットだろ。どっちが優勢かなんて見りゃ一目瞭然だよ。キミの好きなSun-Binだって口を開けば、中国は変わったって主張するけど、一皮むけば、盲目的愛国主義の塊みたいにみえるね。

”それだけじゃないだろ。どれだけ具体的な理想と政策が入っているよ。「資本主義に反対」で終わってんのか共産党宣言。資本主義反対のイデオロギーは山ほどあるし共産主義以外。ファシストでも資本主義の批判してただろうが。”

あのなあ、イデオロギーって言葉調べてから反論してよ。
    それからもちろん「共産党宣言」は「資本主義に反対」だけでは終わっていないし、資本主義反対のイデオロギーは環境主義からファシズムまで山ほどあるけど、きみは「共産主義は反資本主義じゃない」っていったでしょ。

”既得権益の保護だけ違うだろうおい。世界の秩序は神から授かったものなのでどうのこうの深い思想が入ってるだろう。”

フランス革命に対して、王権神授説を持ち出したのは、王と貴族と教会の既得権益の保護を革命からまもるため。だからまちがっていない。バークは思想家、自民党は政党。現実が理想に見劣りするのは政治の本質だ。

”今自分が儲かってるから何も変えないでおこうという話じゃない。”
    ”別に俺はバーク主義者じゃないけど、優れた理論は作っていた。自民党と比較しないでくれ。 ”

それは自民党より中国共産党の思想なんじゃないの?
    少なくとも東アジアでもっとも自由で繁栄した社会が自民党の統治下で実現したという事実は残る。もちろんバークは自民党のことをしったら泣いて喜ぶさ。カール・マルクスは中国共産党のことを知ったら憤死するとおもうけど。

”新疆独立したらウイグル以外の民族がどうなるっというのも面白いね。国連の支持にしたがってとても寛容でリベラルな政策を採るんだろうか。中央アジアみたいにおもいっきり差別するんだろうか。政府や学校に枠を作らなそうだな。”

確かにそれは問題だ。ただ、ウイグル人以外の少数民族の多くはすでに独立国家をもっている。それこそモンゴル人やカザフ人やキルギス人はトルキスタン独立後も残るか、中国に移るか、あるいはモンゴルやカザフスタンやキルギスに移ることもできる。でもそれは今心配する必要はない。今人権を侵害しているのは存在してもいないウイグル国家ではなく、中国なんだから。

”同化策をとらないでどうするんだ。言葉通じないようにしておけばいいのか。学校制度を統一しなければいいのか。 ”

中国では一応少数民族別の学校教育制度が存在するので、もともと統一されていない。オレが最初のほうに書いたコメントは、多くの少数民族は自発的に北京官語を学んでいると書いた。同化策の立案段階にウイグル人の民意が反映されていないのが問題かもよ。

”じゃあお願いだから、無理はない引き止め方を教えてください。建設的な話には非常に興味がある。俺は残忍でファシスト的で間違っているかもしれないが、そうじゃない、独立を伴わない手段があればぜひ聞きたい。 ”

日本人よりも、それこそウイグル人やチベット人と話し合うべきこと。ただ独立という選択肢がなくなれば、ウイグル族は(どの少数民族もそうだが)北京との交渉のテコを失う。民族自決の原則にも反する。結局独立の旗を下げさせるには、各々の民族集団に自立させて、損得勘定を考えさせればいい。もし、キミのいうように破綻したイスラム国家になったら、確実に中国に再統合を望む民意もでてくるさ。しかし、それは今の段階では一歩も二歩も先走りすぎだね。今はとにかく、暴力を排除すること。ウイグル人に(というか中国ではどこもそうだが)異議申し立ての際に暴力を減らす努力を当局が始めることだ。

”アホか。満州には日本人が労働者やるわけないじゃないか。奴隷経済だったんだろう。そもそも日本人少ないし。”

満州の労働事情はまさしく奴隷状態そのものだが、経済的に見れば、日本からの持ち出しに終わった。結局日本はインフラ整備と軍隊の駐留のコストが満州から上げられる利益を上回った。その点が新疆と満州が似ているっていってるんだ。15%もウイグル人雇っているから、どうこうって言い始めたのはそっちでしょ。

”だがウルムチや資源がある場所はウイグルの労働を使わないで漢族自分自身で全部やっているんだ。ウイグル人を雇うのは搾取するんじゃなくて貴重な仕事をあげているんだよ。 ”

当たり前だ、新疆中に散らばっている生産大隊は左宗棠の屯田兵以来続く新疆支配の手段だ。中央政府の指令で新疆を占領してるんだから、ウイグル人を雇わないのはあたりまえだ。
    日本人だって関東軍が占領して、満人を働かせたんだ。それをキミはかたや「奴隷」でかたや「貴重な仕事を上げている」という。「他人がやれば浮気で自分がやればロマンス」って発想だ。

”台湾が独立してアメリカ軍の基地を作る。それで韓国・日本・台湾・フィリピンにアメリカ海軍がいると。中国の完全包囲。それは中国が納得するべき?韓国と日本から米軍を撤退させれば中国も丸くなるよ。 ”

別に中国は包囲されてなんかいない。ソ連は解体したし、鄧小平はゴルバチョフに対してモスクワとの関係改善の条件としてベトナムのカンボジア撤退とモンゴル駐留ソ連軍の撤退を要求した。だから、今はどちらも脅威ではない。さらに上海協力機構ができたから、国境の北と西はみんな友好国。北朝鮮とパキスタンはもともと同盟国だ。これのどこが包囲されてるんだ?

今はフィリピンには海軍基地はないし、台湾にもない。でも中国はフィリピンには南沙諸島の領有権で、台湾には独立問題でそれぞれ軍事的圧力をかけている。米軍が撤退するだけで、中国が丸くなるなんて、信ずべき根拠は何もないよ。

韓国に関しては朝鮮戦争で中国に攻められたんだから、彼らに米軍基地の有無をどうこう言う資格は中国にはない。日本の米軍はもともと中国を日本の侵略戦争から守るためにアメリカが参戦して、日本を占領した結果いるわけで、もともと70年代まで中国への親近感が強かったころは、米軍撤退の意見もあった。

”出たよ見せ掛け憤慨。そもそもアイヌ人何人いるよ。北海道の過半数だったら権利あげるか?”

おいおい、少数民族は沖縄にもいるんだぜ?沖縄知事選には毎回独立派が立候補してるんだ。泡沫候補だけどな。

”台湾でも今やってるんじゃないか原住民権利。で本土文化ツアーやって儲かってるし。笑わせるよ”

台湾での原住民の権利が中国より保証されているのは、すばらしいね。でもそれは中華人民共和国とは何の関係もない。俺が言っているのは、台湾そのものの独立さ。

36. M-Bone says:

> M-bone, of course things are being discussed, and if they shout loud enough they do get some solution.

So we should start from the point of view that things are getting discussed and that things are getting done.

> But there’s no “total” discussion about things.

I don’t know about you, but in the public discourse of other countries like the United States, which clearly does have a very developed civil society, there are a wide range of interest groups arguing diverse issues from guns and abortion to anti-war and health care – with little seemingly holding them together into a “total” discussion and that the real zone of most activism is local (or ethnic, religious) groups. Asking for a vaguely defined “total” discussion is setting a strange standard. I was quite put off by the lack of a “total discussion” during last year’s election with McCain getting away with cutting off Obama’s attempts to being Bush’s policies by saying “If you want to run against President Bush, you should have run four years ago” and pretty much quashing any attempt to have a discussion on a level other than individual issues.

“People may complain about some isolated case of polution, but nobody complains about the whole countryside being a pool of concrete,”

Ise bay typhoon of 1959 – 5041 people killed or missing.
    Similar strength typhoon in 2008 now that there is solid infrastructure like all of that concrete on the shore, rivers, hills likely to collapse in heavy rain – 2 people killed or missing.
    See why people don’t complain?

> about the Nokyo system,

Correct me if I am wrong here, but isn’t the nokyo system a series of agricultural organizations that push for an agenda that supports rural areas? Aren’t they an example of people (including local elites, yes) forming interest groups, a major component of civil society, but being too successful?

> about how kids have to study 12 hours a day to pass an exam, etc.

That is sooooo 1990. The number of hours studied by Japanese young people has dropped dramatically over the past decade as university entrance pass rates have gotten higher and higher.

The opposite of what you are saying happened – partly because of demographics and partly because of popular movements for education reform that resulted in the ゆとり教育 movement, and at the same time similar movements were crushing attempts by one group, coupled with influential members of the poltical elite, to introduce more nationalist content. So not only are your fundamental assumptions about inhumane study hours no longer relevant, but this is actually an example where Nikkyoso, local PTAs, etc. have had a great impact.

>The big things aren’t subject of discussion.

Any other big things that you’re confused about? Aceface is entirely right here – you need to read more newspapers and better yet, some monthly journals, books, etc. on these issues. It sounds like you are mistaking “I haven’t read about it” for “it doesn’t exist”.

> And God forbid I defend the Nikkyoso, commies they are. But it was pretty humiliating having them run besides running cars on a main street.

I’m sure that Aso was pretty humiliated to have a cabinet minister resign just weeks into his tenure as PM because of a fear of popular pressure groups like Nikkyoso. I’m not entirely sure that they are commies at this point – bleeding heart lefties, yes.

“Edmund Burke泣くよ”

Burke must be crying a lot these days.

”バークは泣いて喜ぶよ”

Yes, indeed, for Burke conservativism meant monarchy and keeping those dirty commons out of politics.

37. M-Bone says:

“Obama’s attempts to being Bush’s policies ”

At 6:30 in the morning, “bring in” became “being”.

38. Aceface says:

“Ise bay typhoon of 1959 – 5041 people killed or missing.
    See why people don’t complain? ”

Actually the dude who sit right next to me is doing 50 years commemoration of Ise typhoon while I’m doing the research on NPO’s removing concrete ditch from rice field.So we talks about this pretty often and covic movement do make complain on the issue.Especially the mood is shifting toward anti-dam and concretes due to the recently elected Nagoya mayor and upcoming COP10 meeting for biodiversity preservation treaty in Nagoya next year.The city and Aichi prefectural government is now making gentrification in certain rural area by restoring natural landscape as part of the effort called “Satoyama Initiative “by Ministry of Environment.

“forming interest groups, a major component of civil society, but being too successful? ”

Which is true,but since Nokyo has been serving as vote collecting machine for the LDP,it’s political influence has a lot to do with LDP and current electoral distirict system.And the change probably requires the transfer of power from LDP in central government plus constitutional revision,of which both has been suspended by the lack of opposition party taking over the government.So I’d guess Spandrell isn’t wrong on this one.Me think.

“for Burke conservativism meant monarchy and keeping those dirty commons out of politics.”

Yes,but what Burke had also proclaimed ” the challenges change but the virtues needed stay the same” kinda meme and that’s pretty much shared by the both side of political arena in the words like “must change to stay the same”talks by Ozawa et al.

And also Spandrell just chose one wrong day to describe Japanese politics don’t change nor civic society doesn’t exist.July 12th was the day LDP lost majority in Tokyo for the first time in 44years.Plus,there were demonstration by 700 people marching around Shibuya protesting massacre in Xinjiang.

39. Aceface says:

“モンゴル族は暴れる候補なのにあまり問題を起こしていないのは前から興味あるけど、何か知っていたらぜひ教えてほしい。 ”

昔暴れて大量に殺された。おかげで一部は独立できたけど。
    内モンゴルの国防上の重要性はチベットや新疆の比じゃない。なにせ万里の長城のすぐそこなんだから。中国は少数民族の中でもモンゴル人問題を最優先した。

内モンゴルを制圧するために、日本敗戦後、中共はまず清朝のモンゴル貴族の息子でモンゴル語が離せない党員のウランフを使い、人民共和国設立の前に内蒙古自治区を作った。これで中華民国から独立するために満州国の日本と協力したり、あるいは日本人に抵抗したモンゴル人たちが、外モンゴルへの併合を求めてウランバートルと連携させないようにした。ウランフに反対したモンゴル人は「汎モンゴル主義者」か「国家分裂主義者」ということでみんな殺された。

次に文革の時にウランフが内蒙古自治区で独立王国を作っているとして、漢人の紅衛兵を下放と称して大量に送り込んだ。たくさんの内モンゴル人の党員が「ウランフの手下」とか「ウランバートルのスパイ」というでっち上げで殺された。「狡兎死して走狗煮らる」とはよくいったもんだ。モンゴル統一を阻んだ最大の功労者で一部ではモンゴル民族の最大の裏切り者とされる男が、自分が忠誠を尽くした党にあっさり裏切られるんだから。これでモンゴル人の知識人や専門家は内蒙古で、漢族にその地位をのっとられてしまった。

これを読むといい。ちなみに著者は漢人風の名前をもっているが、モンゴル族。http://ci.nii.ac.jp/naid/110007023962/ja

さらに最近は「生態移民」ということで、砂漠化した草原から遊牧民を強制移住させている。砂漠化の原因は農耕で牧畜ではないことは、モンゴルや中央アジアの研究で証明されているが、中国でそれをいうのはタブーだ。結局モンゴル族を漢族集合地域に強制移住させるというもう一つの目的のほうが重要なんだろう。モンゴル族はウイグルのようにイスラム教徒でないから、比較的漢族との通婚が盛んだしね。

こうした内モンゴルの近現代の歴史や現状は中国ではほとんど教わらないし、研究の自由もない。だから、中国からくる内モンゴル人の留学生は日本に来て本を読みまくる。(それに比べ外モンゴル人は本なんて読まない。相撲をとるだけだ)最近日本の大学でモンゴルの歴史研究を志す大学院生の多くは内モンゴル人だ。上にリンクした論文を書いた人も日本に来たときは、モンゴル族だけど、漢人姓の上にモンゴル語がしゃべれなくて、漢人の女性と結婚していた。でも研究を続けるために新聞配達をしながら日本人からモンゴル語を学び、日本で研究を始めたそうだ。日本国籍をとったのは、これから研究を続けるのは危険だから、万が一のための保険として取得したんだろう。他にも少なくとも2人そういう内モンゴル人を知っている。
    彼らがいうには、内外モンゴルの統一も内モンゴルの独立も内モンゴルにおけるモンゴル文化を守ることもむずかしい、と考えている。だから、モンゴル民族の独立と文化の保持はモンゴル国にまかせて、自分たちは内モンゴルの現状がすこしでもよくなるよう、外国に身を置きつつ、努力しようと考えている。

そういう風になったのはキミのいうように「リンチが暴力」を抑制したなんてチャチなものではなくて、民族の存続自体が危ぶまれるほど、ジェノサイドがもう内モンゴルでは進行してしまったということだ。抵抗しないんじゃない。できないんだ。もっとも民族争乱は内モンゴルでもあるけど、規模が小さいため外部に報道されない。フフホトはウルムチ以上に漢人の都市だしね。

ウイグルが内モンゴルのようにならないのは、モンゴル人は都市文化をもっていない遊牧民だった。だから都市化すれば漢族化する。
    でもウイグル人は昔からオアシス地域で農民や商人だった人も多い。ウイグル語はチュルク語系だから、世界中のトルコ民族とコミュニケーションできる。人権侵害は内モンゴルでジェノサイドが行われていた50年代や60年代と違って今はテレビもインターネットもあるから、秘密にできない。それにウイグル民族には独立国家が一つもないから、あきらめることもできない。新疆のウイグル文化が消滅すれば、ウイグル文化はかつてユダヤ人のように世界中に散らばった少数の亡命者のものになったしまう。イスラム教は異教徒との結婚を禁じているから、あまり漢族とは結婚を通じてつながることはないし、殉教を英雄視する価値観も持っている。
    たぶん内モンゴルと同じようにならないね。

40. M-Bone says:

Re: “See why people don’t complain? ”
    I see what you mean Ace. I should have said – see why people haven’t made a huge national fuss about it throughout the postwar period.

“but since Nokyo has been serving as vote collecting machine for the LDP”

In democratic “civil society” – it is pretty much understood that intrest groups are going to strongly back their supporters in politics. Can we identify strong currents in American civil society that are not tied to one party or the other? Not many. Let’s also not forget that Nokyo have their roots in American agrictural liberalization during the occupation and rural = conservative is a reliable formula just about everywhere.

I don’t think that Nokyo are nice or anything – simply that they are a sign of people banding together to rather ruthlessly protect their own lifestyles in a movement that exists outside of politics to a large degree. And who is to say if the LDP has shaped the Nokyo or if the Nokyo have shaped the LDP? I don’t think that we can fault rural conservatives for looking out for number one and not having voted Socialist all these years. Civil society does not have to be progressive and let’s face it, there is no real point to having one if it is not out to influence politics.

41. M-Bone says:

” Nokyo has been serving as vote collecting machine for the LDP”

Nokyo were first formed as one of the liberalizing reforms of the American occupation. That have continued to, rather ruthlessly, protect the interests of people in rural areas at the expense of urban consumers.

Did the LDP form the current agricultural policy and force it on the nokyo or did the nokyo influence the LDP in order to make sure that members got paid a lot for rice crops – at least keeping up with urban wages?

This type of relationship does not cease to be a function of civil society just because it is conservative or supporting the ruling power. The vast bulk of civil society movements on the local and national levels in the United States and elsewhere have their ideology and interests tied with one party or the other. Nokyo are no different than small town mayors begging for arms contracts that support regional factories or any number of other conservative political themes elsewhere. They are not a bastion of liberalism, by any means, but civil society is about collectively trying to influence government, not necessarily being progressive or polite.

Why haven’t the nokyo been smashed out of existence by voters? I think that part of it has to do with a nationalist attachment to Japanese rice and kokusan in general. The LDP isn’t discouraging this but I don’t think that they are the wellspring. Nokyo and rice prices are far more complex than a simple “politicians dominate people” narrative that Spandrell seems to favor in describing Japan.

Concerning Ise – indeed you are right. I should have mentioned that the infrastructure development was popular to a point but now there is a great deal of resistance. My concern is that many discussions of Japan’s concrete rivers don’t even seem to acknowledge that they serve a purpose and that purpose was to cut down on the massive numbers of deaths from typhoons and flooding seen throughout Japanese history and that they have been a success on this level. Japan has had two enviornmental movements – one against pollutants that harm people and one against enviornmental destruction. The first has been more successful than the second but both are important and shouldn’t be tossed out behind the concrete cliche as Spandrell does.

42. spandrell says:

M-bone, here another case of a foreigner defending the establishment more than actual japanese. Even defending the Nokyo! Yes, it’s not the political system, is that unique japanese culture that makes japan so special and we just can’t understand. It’s not “politicians dominate people”, it’s “special interests bribe politicians who control people”.
    And yeah I know it’s strange I complain about the 1955 system when it’s beginning to crumble. But it is still here, right? It took 54 years, 20 of them of crisis, to even start changing a bit. And nothing big’s happened yet.

The chinese stuff I’ll address later, I’m kinda out of time right now. Thanks for the mongolian info though, I had read something about the late 50s but not that much.

43. M-Bone says:

“here another case of a foreigner defending the establishment more than actual japanese”

I live in a “rural” area of Japan, care about it more than the cities, and understand that this system brings money and trickle down jobs into the area. If people were not being paid too much to farm, my prefecture would be a ghost town (eh, ghost prefecture). Didn’t say anything about Japanese culture. Notice that I’m in line with Japanese progressives on most issues like education, but when I express support for a conservative Japanese idea? Yeah, I must be one of those crazy Japanophiles. While I don’t support the LDP, I’m one of the many people who is looking out for number one – the local area. I gather that you live in an urban area of Japan, right? Feel free to hate nokyo, but there is nothing irrational about supporting it from where I’m sitting.

Anyway, why do people feel a need to present the decades of LDP rule as a total disaster? I want to see change, but I think that Japan does okay.

“And everyone who´s something still has its kids go to 塾 every day.”

Juku numbers have also been declining since the early 1990s along with average hours of study which, as you can see from the chart that I linked, are now well below the United States and China.

“special interests bribe politicians who control people”.

Those Western countries with civil societies don’t have special interests with political clout? What happens when some of those special interests like farmers, burakumin, etc. have half a point? What about when those special interests are the “little guy”? Well, we call those special interests lobby groups or activists, and isn’t that what civil society is all about?

44. Aceface says:

“M-bone, here another case of a foreigner defending the establishment more than actual japanese. Even defending the Nokyo!”

And in your case,you are defending Chinese abusive policy to Uyghurs.Defending Nokyo sounds to me a lesser crime in my book.

“It’s not “politicians dominate people”, it’s “special interests bribe politicians who control people”. ”

“That all those dams are built just as a massive pork barrel system is admitted by everyone. ”

Admitted but not accpeted by “everyone”.

“And everyone who´s something still has its kids go to 塾 every day. You need to to get into a good university anyway. I guess its getting better, but its still insane. ”
    As being a father sending son to a Juku,I have to ask this.Since when has sending a son to a juku and expecting him to go to a good university become an act of insanity?There are things called competion in life you know.

“But it is still here, right? It took 54 years, 20 of them of crisis, to even start changing a bit. ”

That’s right.And your argument was “nothing ever changes in Japanese politics”.

“What’s gonna happen in Tokyo though? JDP+Commies? Komeito changing sides? It´s really getting funny. ”

Not exactly.Since Japanese Communist Party clearly takes distance away from DPJ.And so far there’s no sign of Komeito changing sides.And why is this “funny”?Shuffling political coalition has been occured multiple times in both national and regional congress since the 90′s.

All I can say about what will be happening in Tokyo is Ishihara is going to be in trouble.But that’s democracy,something you’ve chose to ignore not happening here.

45. spandrell says:

“And your argument was “nothing ever changes in Japanese politics”"
    It took a while, huh. After 20 years of economic stagnation it is time.
    “As being a father sending son to a Juku,I have to ask this.Since when has sending a son to a juku and expecting him to go to a good university become an act of insanity?”
    What’s the point of school then? Of course I understand the actual need of doing it, I’m not blaming the parents. But are people saying that 12 hours of study every day are necessary for a kid to be educated? Didn’t have cram schools in Europe, and I wouldn’t say Japanese kids are that more educated than kids in any average european country. A bit more yeah, but not that different.

M-bone: I’m a college student in Tokyo. So yeah, I’ve been in rural japan, my gf’s father is very active on those things and talks hours about all problems in the countryside. So I’m aware, just not involved on it. The thing is, is there any other way that having a vote-buying corporatist organization such as the Nokyo organizing ALL the farmers? Is there any other way? Not like the countryside isn’t dying little by little anyway. Nokyo maybe helping people get by but certainly it’s not fixing the problem.
    May I ask what are you doing over there? What’s your job, I mean.

“Not exactly.Since Japanese Communist Party clearly takes distance away from DPJ.”

“Well,actually special interests bribe politicians ARE controlled by people.Not the other way around.”
    Good point. But I don’t see “society” as a bunch of interest groups. There’s supposed to be some unity thing about it. I don’t think that’s point of democracy. Japan has always been about factions and little groups fighting each other though.

Going back:

:繰り返しで悪いが今の中央アジアにイスラム主義の国は一つもないよ。イスラム教徒が住んでいるということと、「イスラム主義」の違いぐらいは知ってるんだろうね”
    知ってるよそんぐらい。ただウイグルには宗教の影響は前ソ連の国ほど弱まっていない。ウイグルが独立したらイスラム国になる可能性が十分高い。
    しかも中央アジアが影響あるか?キルギスは大国???中国以下の平均所得で?アフガニスタンに近いからアメリカに軍事基地を売ってるだけじゃないかい。

”夕刊ゲンダイと夕刊フジって読んだことないの?”
    香港にだってすごいこと行ってる雑誌はいくらでもある。ただ主流の新聞はそこまでいえないのはどこも一緒。法倫功の人らは毎日みたいに香港でデモやってるよ。またいうけど、日本の新聞は中国の悪口をいう勇気ないなら、香港の新聞はなおさらだろう。

”大体核実験場に選定されるところは遊牧民しかすまない。漢族なんていないよ。”
    人がいない場所にするよ。せめて密度の低い、簡単に移住できる。当たり前だろう。どこでやればいいんだじゃ。遊牧民族の昔の生活方式を許している国なんてない。中国だけそれを認めるべきか?
    ”おいおい、日本の民主主義や市民社会にはずいぶん厳しいのに、中国には妙に甘いね。ネットでちょっとづつなんて変わんないよ。”
    中国は人権大国、民主国家どうのこうの自慢してないんだもん。日本だけはわれわれ日本人が素晴らしい自由な社会とほらを吹きながら、結局政治は同じ人たちが60年以上握っている。20年構造改革やるといって何も進まない。中国は残酷な自由のない独裁国家として罵倒されるばかりだから、そうでもないよって指摘したいだけ。問題はもちろん山ほどある。

”バークは思想家、自民党は政党。現実が理想に見劣りするのは政治の本質だ。 ”
    いやあ、バーク好かれてないみたいですね。まあ間違っていたかもしれないが、今の社会で利益を得ているから守ろうぜという論理ではない。自民党は従来の官僚指導政治を正当化するようなまともな理論さえない。そもそも自分で作ったんじゃないし。便乗して儲かってるだけ。
    東アジアでもっとも繁栄しているのは日本で間違いない。でも自民党は実際統治しているか怪しいね。そもそも自由といえば今の韓国のほうが若干自由度が高いと思うけど、まあそこは詳しくないからほっとく。
    共産党の突っ込みはそのとおり。その一面は非常に強い。でも中国で毎日みたいに激しく論争されている。中国の第一の課題として長年指摘されている。共産党でかいし、内部でもそれを正そうとしている人もいるし。でも一応共産党は自分の政策の責任は取る。日本の政策は官僚が決めているのに責任を取らない。
    ”各々の民族集団に自立させて、損得勘定を考えさせればいい。”
    ”今はとにかく、暴力を排除すること”
    理論としては、ウイグル人が平和で文句言いたいだけで、中国人が言わせてくれないから癪に来てつい暴動になってしまったという話なんだね。もちろん大部分のウイグルは暴動にしたくなかったかもしれないが、その暴力したがるチンピラみたいなウイグル人の一部分を抑える必要がある。それはウイグル人内部でやってもらうのは一番だね。
    それが可能かどうかっていう問題。非常に難しいと思う。歴史でそういうつもりで少数民族に妥協していくと、徐々に要求が高まるだけで、結局独立してしまうんだ。

”中央政府の指令で新疆を占領してるんだから、ウイグル人を雇わないのはあたりまえだ。 ”
    でも雇ってやってるんだな。政策としては。民間のレベルで逆に衝突が多いと思う。

“別に中国は包囲されてなんかいない”
    まあロシアとは仲良くはしているけど友好国でもないね。
    ”台湾での原住民の権利が中国より保証されているのは、すばらしいね”
    すらばしくないよ別に。少数民族がまったく力ない時間まで待って、権利を上げて、観光資本に使う。まあ実際儲かるからどこでもやっているんだから仕方ないけど、そこで国民の寛容さとか自慢するのをやめてほしいな。
    ちなみに沖縄人は少数民族扱いなん?そういう法律あるっけ。
    沖縄に実際独立派が勝ちそうになったら東京から厳しくなるだろう。怖くないからこそ寛容になれる。

46. M-Bone says:

In my country, the government’s answer to the Nokyo question has been to reduce primary production subsidies and keep many regions alive with welfare… with a predictable effect on people’s self respect. I’m not saying that Nokyo is the only way or that it is a particularly “fair” thing (note in my original comment – “That have continued to, rather ruthlessly, protect the interests of people in rural areas at the expense of urban consumers. ” I’m not whitewashing anything) but it is one of the things that has prevented regional collapse throughout the postwar period.

Fixing the problem in the countryside:

On that level, Japan has had serious discussion about sending a portion of a person’s lifetime tax back to the place where they were born and raised in order to help rural areas. There is discussion of how to fix the problem of the dying countryside and sub-state government levels have been very vocal about change (Hashimoto in Osaka, for example). There is a national discussion going on here.

Root of problems in European education. The book for this theme is “The Prodigy” by Hesse.

Concerning the “unified” national discussion – Been reading Habermas? Unified discussion is an ideal, but Habermas has come out lately and said that the European public sphere “must be Christian”. As has Umberto Eco. So the kind of unified discussion that you are talking about can also be a type of conservative backlash. These individuals are talking about unified and vital debate, but isn’t it also old white guys with some pretty conservative ideas saying that – you talk on our terms or no dice? Replace the old white guys with old Japanese guys and I don’t see that big a difference between the elite in Japan and Europe in this regard.

In any case, when people just say “no change for 50 years” it makes ordinary Japanese people look like wimps. However, when you break it down by time period, there is a bit more nuance -

1950-1960 – Gradually increasing support for a leftist alternative. A good argument could have been made for voting Socialist.
    1960-1970 – That leftist alternative manages to back the ousting of Kishi, but breaks down into factionalism and trivial debate over Marxist ideology while the LDP steams forward into the income doubling era, high growth, the shinkansen, and the Olympics. The “logical” choice would have been to vote LDP.
    1970-1980 – The LDP rather brilliantly co-opt the left’s environmental plan, heading off potential election defeat, but manage to hang on to majorities. The left is strengthened by economic setbacks (mostly over an oil crisis that the LDP had little to do with) but undermined by terrible images thrown up by the Red Army and general increasing prosperity.
    1980-1990 – Drunk on mega-consumption, who was going to vote Socialist? Can’t blame the orgy of excess all on the LDP – regular people were going hog wild and overlooking the bubble as well. The politicians were irresponsible, but most of that really only came out after the fact.
    1990-1995 – The LDP actually did get voted out, but the Socialists screwed the pooch to an amazing degree (that I don’t want to detail here). In effect, the Japanese left self destructed when they were most needed as a political alternative.
    1995-2000 – Nobody knew what the hell was going on. I think that somebody should have gotten their shit together during this period. If there is a period in which mainstream Japanese can be blamed for inaction, this is it, but it is also the period in which some of civil society’s greatest successes take place – the tainted blood products scandal protests and the anti-textbook reform movement to name a pair.
    2000-2005 – Okay, so in retrospect Koizumi turned out to not be all that, but damn was he a political force. Compared to the lame face put on by the Minshuto, I’m 90% sure that I would have been tricked into going LDP if I were an ordinary Japanese.
    2005-2009 – So here we are, the first post Koizumi election has been called and it looks like the axe will fall. I would argue that this is the first time that we have low growth, a semi-decent opposition, and lo and behold, change.

In a broad sense, the LDP has supported universal healthcare and things more associated with the left in the United States. Basically, they were expert at buying votes from the silent majority and interest groups (like Nokyo) for a long time and voting for them was an act of logical self interest where voting for the left would have been voting from the heart, but that day has passed.

Job – I’m a researcher and spend about half of my time in Japan.

47. tomojiro says:

M-bone You can’t also forget the Social Party’s (社会党 now 社民党)inadequate and laughable foreign/security police. Actually they didn’t gave up revolution with violent means till the mid 80 ies as an official political goal.

If they have purchased Eda-rosen (admitting the SDF, acceptance of the US-Japan alliance) in the mid 70ies, that would be a whole another story (probably).

As you said, they have self destructed themselves. I am still very disappointed with Japanese liberals (politician and in many cases intellectuals) that many of them can’t handle foreign policy and security policy from a more realistic stand.

48. Aceface says:

“After 20 years of economic stagnation it is time. ”

20 years?Back in 1989 Japan was at height of economic bubble.You are also forgetting LDP also lost power in 1993 to 94 and Socialist PM in 1995.
    Economy also went right back in track during Koizumi years of 2001 to 2006.

But are people saying that 12 hours of study every day are necessary for a kid to be educated? ”

Well,I can safely say stydying 12-hours-every-day is common practive amon g Japanese youth,unless you are not choosing Morgan Spurlock way of choosing examples to analyze social symptom.

“Didn’t have cram schools in Europe, and I wouldn’t say Japanese kids are that more educated than kids in any average european country. A bit more yeah, but not that different. ”

Perhaps.
    But should things has to be the same in both Europe and Japan?

“What then? Ishihara is not only getting in trouble, he’ll have no way of doing anything at all. ねじれ都議? 4 years? ugh. Hope they at least they’ll cancel the Olympic bid. ”

But most of the things Ishihara does is plainly stupid anyway,but don’t worry.There will soon be an election to replace the governor.And oh yeah,sorry to inform you that DPJ agrees with Olympic bid.

“But I don’t see “society” as a bunch of interest groups. There’s supposed to be some unity thing about it. ”

You can pick from the bucket.Either that is “We Japanese” to sports team fans.Labor unions and rotary clubs.

“Japan has always been about factions and little groups fighting each other though. ”

well,anywhere but North Korea does that!

”知ってるよそんぐらい”
    中央アジアにイスラム国家があるとおもってたんじゃないの?

“ただウイグルには宗教の影響は前ソ連の国ほど弱まっていない。ウイグルが独立したらイスラム国になる可能性が十分高い。 ”

そうは思わないね。だって海外の亡命グループにウイグル人イスラム主義者はいないから。
    それに独立後のウイグルの政治体制を中国(あるいは世界)が心配する必要なんかあるのかね。

”しかも中央アジアが影響あるか?キルギスは大国???中国以下の平均所得で?アフガニスタンに近いからアメリカに軍事基地を売ってるだけじゃないかい”

別に独立する上で大国になる必要はない。それにキルギスは大国との外交をうまくこなしている、といっただけだ。所得に関していえば、なるほどキルギスは貧しいが、それは天然資源がないからだ。そしてウイグルはそれをタリム盆地にたくさん持っている。独立できれば、中央に上納しなくてもすむから、豊かになれるさ。すくなくとも個人所得はね。それにウイグル人は豊かさと同じぐらい自由を望んでいる。そっちが重要。

”香港にだってすごいこと行ってる雑誌はいくらでもある。ただ主流の新聞はそこまでいえないのはどこも一緒。”

キミがいってたのは「香港は日本より遥かに言論の自由がある」と「蘋果日報みたいな新聞は日本では生き残れるかなぁ。あれだけ自民党の悪口言ったらどうなるんだろうね。ありえない」だろ。「どこも一緒」じゃなくてさ。日本の方が報道の自由は香港より確立されてるよ。

”(核実験)はどこでやればいいんだじゃ。”

別に核実験なんてやらなくてもよかったんじゃない?

”遊牧民族の昔の生活方式を許している国なんてない。中国だけそれを認めるべきか? ”

いっぱいあるよ。モンゴルとか。

”中国は人権大国、民主国家どうのこうの自慢してないんだもん。”

そりゃそうだよ。中国には人権も民主もないんだから。

”日本だけはわれわれ日本人が素晴らしい自由な社会とほらを吹きながら、結局政治は同じ人たちが60年以上握っている。20年構造改革やるといって何も進まない。”

すばらしいかは別として、ある程度は自由なんじゃないの。特に中国と比較すれば確実に。
    政治は同じ党が握っていても、あんまり普段の生活には関係ないし、首相や大臣は簡単に失脚するから、自由への脅威と感じないこともある。構造改革はあまり進まないのは、それこそ大企業の論理だけでなく、中小企業や農家や非正規労働者のような経済的弱者もある程度政治力をもっているからだろ?

”中国は残酷な自由のない独裁国家として罵倒されるばかりだから、そうでもないよって指摘したいだけ。問題はもちろん山ほどある。 ”

俺たちはその山ほどある問題の中の一つであるウイグル人の人権問題を議論しているだけ。別に中国を「罵倒」しているわけではない。
    それにしても、キミはM-Boneが農協を弁護すれば冷やかすのに、「残酷で自由のない独裁国家」はずいぶん弁護するんだね。

”今の社会で利益を得ているから守ろうぜという論理ではない。”

バークほんとに読んだことある?フランス革命は今の社会をぶち壊してまったく新しいのをゼロから作ろうぜ、というう思想。バークはそれに反対した。今の社会は様々な伝統や歴史的産物
    で、そこに暮らす人々は有形無形の利益を得てるから守ろうぜ、といったのが主著の「フランス革命の省察」だよ。

”自民党は従来の官僚指導政治を正当化するようなまともな理論さえない。”

そりゃそうだよ。官僚主導政治は過去20年克服の対象だから、「理論的に正当化」なんてするわけがない。

”そもそも自分で作ったんじゃないし。便乗して儲かってるだけ。 ”

そもそも自民党が作った55年体制から高度経済成長がはじまったので、日本経済の成功は自民党の歴史的貢献だね。

”そもそも自由といえば今の韓国のほうが若干自由度が高いと思うけど、まあそこは詳しくないからほっとく。”

おれは詳しいからいうけど全然そんなことないね。今インターネットの書き込みに実名制を導入したり、狂牛病報道に関してテレビ局のディレクターのEメールを検察が押収したり、首都でのデモを全面禁止にしようとしたり、むちゃくちゃですよ。いくらキミでも前の大統領が飛び降り自殺したぐらいは知ってるでしょ?韓国は今検察ファッショですよ。

”でも中国で毎日みたいに激しく論争されている。中国の第一の課題として長年指摘されている。共産党でかいし、内部でもそれを正そうとしている人もいるし。でも一応共産党は自分の政策の責任は取る。日本の政策は官僚が決めているのに責任を取らない。”

ご冗談を。じゃあ胡錦濤や王楽泉は今回の新疆の事態の責任をとって辞任するわけ?
    大躍進や文化大革命や天安門事件の責任は誰がいつ取った?毒入りギョーザ問題は?
    四川大地震で露呈した手抜き公共事業の問題は?
    少なくとも自民党では「辞任」という形で責任を取る。それが適切かどうかは別として。

”そんなことしたら広東省は自分の独特な文化を掲げて独立しだすよ。損得勘定で独立可能ならどの国でも金持っている地域が独立してしまう。ヨーロッパの状況見てみて。スペイン、イタリア、ベルギーで同じことがおきている。 ”

でも現実にはスペインでもイタリア、ベルギーでも実際に分離独立した地域はない。イギリスでもカナダでもそう。広東省だって独立しないよ。自分たちのことは中国人だとおもってるから。

”理論としては、ウイグル人が平和で文句言いたいだけで、中国人が言わせてくれないから癪に来てつい暴動になってしまったという話なんだね。”

違うよ。文句をいいたいんじゃなくて彼らは独立したいのさ。

”もちろん大部分のウイグルは暴動にしたくなかったかもしれないが、その暴力したがるチンピラみたいなウイグル人の一部分を抑える必要がある。それはウイグル人内部でやってもらうのは一番だね。 ”

ついでに暴力振るってる漢人と、無差別に発砲する武装警察もね。

”それが可能かどうかっていう問題。非常に難しいと思う。歴史でそういうつもりで少数民族に妥協していくと、徐々に要求が高まるだけで、結局独立してしまうんだ。 ”

可能かどうかはやってみないとわからない。それにしてもウイグルの独立は別に悪いことじゃない。

”でも雇ってやってるんだな。政策としては。民間のレベルで逆に衝突が多いと思う。 ”

それは生産大隊ではなく、公務員や国営企業のハナシ。でも本来ウイグル人を同じ中国国民と考えてるならは「雇ってやってる」という言葉はでないはず。しかも中国の憲法では民族自治区では行政はその自治区の主体民族が行う権利がある。つまり、新疆ウイグル自治区なら、ウイグル人が15%どころか最優先されるのが本来の姿。「雇ってやってる」んじゃなくて、今の現状が憲法違反。

”まあロシアとは仲良くはしているけど友好国でもないね。”

じゃ、「包囲」されてるわけではないでしょ。国際政治では仲良くしてるだけで友好国だよ。

”問題は中国は戦争しうる相手はアメリカしかない。アメリカと戦うなら太平洋に出なきゃいけない。今の状態でそのルートが全部米軍基地か米軍同盟国で埋まっている。中国はそこをどうにかしたいのは当然。”

別に「問題」でもなく、「当然」でもない。中国の常識が世界の非常識というだけ。アメリカと戦争したいと思うのは勝手だけど、だから、「そこをどうにかする」権利は中国にはないし、回りの国がそれにあわせる義務もない。

”すばらしくないよ別に。少数民族がまったく力ない時間まで待って、権利を上げて、観光資本に使う。まあ実際儲かるからどこでもやっているんだから仕方ないけど、そこで国民の寛容さとか自慢するのをやめてほしいな。 ”

台湾の先住民政策は自慢するだけのことはやってるんだからいいんじゃない。中身のない大国きどりしてるどこかの国よりはさ。

”ちなみに沖縄人は少数民族扱いなん?そういう法律あるっけ。 ”

沖縄人含めて、特定の市民を多数と判別するために少数民族と規定する法律はない。でもこれはソ連とそれをマネした中国やユーゴのような社会主義国の一部がそうした法律をもってるだけで、そういう法律はイスラエル以外民主国家ではきいたことがない。
    ちなみに沖縄振興特別振興法という法律はある。

”沖縄に実際独立派が勝ちそうになったら東京から厳しくなるだろう。怖くないからこそ寛容になれる。”

日本は法治国家で民主国家。東京ができることは補助金の削減ぐらい。それに別に沖縄独立を怖がる理由もないしね。「怖くないから寛容になれる」のではなくて「寛容な社会だから怖くない」

”M-bone: I’m a college student in Tokyo. ”
    キミはこんなとこでヒマ潰すより。M-Boneのところで一日12時間ぐらい勉強したほうがいいかもな。

49. Aceface says:

“Well,I can safely say stydying 12-hours-every-day is common practive amon g Japanese youth”

It’s “Is not”.

50. spandrell says:

“キミはこんなとこでヒマ潰すより。M-Boneのところで一日12時間ぐらい勉強したほうがいいかもな。
    “田舎は興味ないっすね。日本の大学の暇は実にありがたい。でも今週ちょっと試験で忙しくなるんでこれの続きを今度で。
    まとめとしてウイグルは独立するべきっていう話だからそこはどうしようもないね。中国は領土を渡すわけがない。正当性とか統治権利とかは言われたらきりがないし、どこの土地でも侵略によって獲たものだから。ウイグル人は中国の中で仲良くできるアイディアがあればいいが、そういう風にならない限り解決しない。チベットも同様。
    ”「寛容な社会だから怖くない」 ”というのは素晴らしい理念だが時代遅れ。