Germany’s Oil Imports

With so much talk about energy and so much focus on the US, here’s a short overview of the situation in Germany. Being at the forefront of alternative energy and in fact the largest producer and user of it, does not mean Germany isn’t largely dependent on oil. About 12% of its overall needs comes from nuclear power and another 5% from renewable sources. The rest is imported.

Interestingly, in 1991 Germany passed the Renewable Energy Sources Act which allowed producers of renewable energy to sell it back to the grid at fixed rates. This includes individuals so that a household with solar panels (or even small wind generators) can sell excess energy back to energy companies at a fixed and above-market price. By reducing the risk in investing in new energy sources and technologies, Germany has become a, if not the, leader in renewable energy. A similar and more recent law was passed in 2004, the details of which I won’t get into If interested, you can read an official summary in English here.

About Chirol

Sir Ignatius Valentine Chirol (1852 - 1929) was a journalist, prolific author, world historian, and British diplomat. He began his career as a foreign correspondent and later became editor of the London Times. After two decades as a journalist he joined Her Majesty's Foreign Ministry as a diplomat and was subsequently knighted for his distinguished service as a foreign affairs advisor. Additionally, he wrote a dozen books on foreign affairs including The Far Eastern Question (1896), Serbia and the Serbs (1914), The End of the Ottoman Empire (1920) and The Egyptian Problem (1921). He is generally credited with popularizing "Middle East" in reference to the Arabian Peninsula with his book The Middle Eastern Question (1903). "Chirol" is a US citizen and graduate student studying Defense and Strategic Studies and government contractor. As with the historical Chirol, he has traveled to over two dozen countries and lived abroad for many years. Chirol speaks English and German fluently with basic knowledge of manyl of others.
This entry was posted in Christendom, Oil & Energy and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Germany’s Oil Imports

  1. Curzon says:

    Sobering to note that, despite the fact that Germany is an alternative energy pioneer, they still only get 5% of their energy from renewable sources.

  2. von Kaufman-Turkestansky says:

    Sobering indeed. I want my own windmill!

  3. Michael says:

    Also sobering to see how utterly dependent they are on one country. Middle East goes up in flames, they’ll be hurt; Russia goes up in flames, Germany’s economy goes up in flames.

  4. Curzon says:

    The problem is, VKT, that your own windmill wouldn’t provide enough power to run a whelk stand, plus the maintenance and upkeep would be prohibitivley expensive. That’s why “wind farms” are coming into fashion — although even those can only provide a fraction of the energy we need for a high cost..

  5. Alfred Russel Wallace says:

    Germany leads the world in biodiesel production, although thsi may change now that some subsidies are being withdrawn.

  6. Adrian says:

    Those percentages add up to 88%. Where’s the other 12% of Germany’s oil come from?

  7. Chirol says:

    Adrian: If you read the title, it says “most important” not all =)