Our Second Birthday, and a Victorian Classified

Today, ComingAnarchy.com turns two years old. (See the first birthday post here.) This blog started as a joint venture between Younghusband and myself in September 2004. Chirol joined us in April 2005, in which the site was remodeled with the current “Victorian-Pagan” site design. As we enter our third year of operation and more readers than ever (approximately 100,000 hits a month), we’re hoping to expand our coverage. And we want our readers to help.

Here’s the deal: we sufficiently cover North America, East Asia, Europe, Russia, and the Middle East. But Central Asia and Africa are neglected, while Latin America, India, Southeast Asia and Oceania are all but ignored. We’re hoping a new contributor can maintain the “Think Pagan” approach with better regional coverage.

Requirements:
* A native english speaker fluent in at least one foreign language;
* Experience living and traveling overseas;
* An area of regional focus (ex: Latin America, India, and Southeast Asia/Oceania);
* Minimum six months blogging experience;
* Moderate proficiency in Photoshop or Fireworks;
* A “pessimistic realist” political outlook;
* An appreciation for the work of Robert D. Kaplan.

Responsibilities:
* Internet anonymity, using a Victorian statesman/explorer/diplomat as your alias; and
* Blog regularly on relevant topics at a site read by 2,000-3,000 people daily.

Compensation & Benefits:
* A “@cominganarchy.com” email address.

Minority Hiring:
* Preference given to applicants not of North American citizenship.

Suggestions, trackbacks, or nominations are welcome. Or feel free to use the contact form.

This entry was posted in About the Blog and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Our Second Birthday, and a Victorian Classified

1. Elizabeth says:

Happy birthday and congratulations on your hosting of a superb blog with great content.

2. sun bin says:

minority? w.r.t. current group? :)

diversity better. :p

3. ElamBend says:

Happy birthday! Remember the scene in Lawrence of Arabia, where Lawrence arrives dusty and exhausted after having crossed the Sinai? The bar he goes to. This site is like that for me, a gathering place to swap stories of the great out there that I don’t get in my day-to-day dealings.
    Thanks, guys.

EB: As it happens, I was watching _just that movie_ and _just that scene_ last night (Lady Curzon has never seen the film and wanted to see it). And your analogy has utterly confused me. In that scene, Lawrence walks into the bar and, half crazy, says, “we… want… some… lemonade… … with ice!” And everyone is like, “get out of here, you filthy wog-lover!” Is that what CA is like for you??

5. Lexington Green says:

Bravo the Coming Anarchy blog.

Congratulations on two years, and best of luck pressing on for many more.

6. Rommel says:

Cheers to that!
    While I am a lightweight in the ring with 20-30 heavyweights, I love this place.
    I know of no other forum with such insight, admiration of Kaplan and credibility – as well as a sense of humor!
    And a whole cast of rich, interesting regulars.
    If I knew Urdu instead of French, and my last trip was to the Sindh rather than the Pacific NW I would assume the persona of Sir Richard Francis Burton. You guys need an audacious if not reckless adventurer skilled in a dozen or more Near Eastern tongues. Alas, that would be highly presumptious of me so good luck in your recruitment efforts! And you always have that dashing explorer Younghusband! Cheers to CA!

7. Eddie says:

Happy Birthday to the CA crew and their ever expanding horizons. Your hard work and dedication is most appreciated by many a reader I can safely assume.

8. von Kaufman-Turkestansky says:

Happy birthday! Yours is a great endeavour. Thank you for your dedication to this blog.

9. ElamBend says:

Curzon,
    No, no. But, if you remember later when he returns to the bar, he is given accolades as everyone realizes what he has done. To me, CA is a place to come see a lot Lawrences coming in to share their experience and I’m like one of the clueless clerks working in Cairo (minus the looking down the nose at the ‘natives’ part). So, I offer my lemonade and ice to the lot of you, eager to hear your stories (and that of the commenters).

Perhaps I should have said Rick’s Cafe Ameicain.

Roger. Like the part when Lawrence gets back and is about to enter General Allenby’s office:
    Lawrence: “Good to be back.”
    Clerk: “I’ll believe you, sir.”

11. HanDongWoo says:

One word: Kushibo

Kushibo knows more about Korea and the world then all of you combined. He will show the greatness of Korea!! Korea !! where there is four seasons and 5000 years of hisotry.

RE: Rommel… I think that should be another responsibility: no one is allowed Burton! His jersey is retired. He is far too cool and everybody wants him on their team. So I move that “Rowdy Dick” be off the menu.

13. Happy Birthday guys – a thorougly entertaining and informative two years. I applaud…..

14. Dan tdaxp says:

Happy Birthday!

15. lirelou says:

Yes, Happy Birthday! There must be a Luis Davila-Colon or Alvaro Vargas-Llosa out there who would be interested in posting on Latin America. But whose persona to take as a “Victorian” Latin? Perhaps Captain Angel Rivero, a retired Spanish Artillery officer who was pulled out of his jail cell, where he had been incarcerated for writing a letter to the editor of a Puerto Rican newspaper advocating autonomy for the island, and asked to return to active duty to fight the Americans, which he did. Following the war he opted to remain on the island, and penned a history of the war, “Cronica de la Guerra Hispano-Americana en Puerto Rico”, in which his admiration of both the United States and its military was evident. Later offered a commission in the U.S. Army’s first hispanic regiment (the “Porto Rico Regiment”, later the 65th Infantry), he “sadly had to refuse”. As he explained to the U.S. military governor, he had taken an oath as an officer in the Spanish Army to defend Spain with his life, if necessary, and such an oath could be given only once in a man’s lifetime. A “victorian” attitude that some of our youth continue to honour to this day.

16. Shloky says:

Congrats on the two year bit and good luck on the hunt!